Most of the odd cleaning and crafting ideas came from my grandma. She was a whiz at frugal living. She’s long gone now, but she taught me a ton while she was still alive. Things like using vinegar to clean pots and pans, or the coffee pot. But I have already discussed cleaning with vinegar. Now I am going to tell you about 10 other things you can do with vinegar around the house, including weed killing and headache healing!
Vinegar and Home Remedies
- Put the vapor rub aside and add 1/4 cup of vinegar to your vaporizer to help clear chest congestion. I suffer from chronic sinusitis and this remedies helps me breath clearer!
- Vinegar is a cure for the common cough. Just mix 1/4 cup vinegar with 1/4 cup honey and take a spoonful every few hours.
- I suffer from headaches often, and one thing that I have found that helps ease the brain pain is a warm compress. But instead of just warm water, I mix in an equal part of vinegar.
Vinegar and Personal Hygiene
- I suffer from combination skin, and rather than paying tons of money for an oil controlling astringent I make my own. Most store bought astringents contain alcohol, which dries out my dry spots even more. Instead, I mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar and apply with a cotton ball. This same mixture not only works as an astringent, but makes a good cleanser too!
- Is your hair feeling and looking a little dry and lackluster? Don’t pay salon prices, do what I do. Combine 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp vinegar. Massage through your hair and cover with a shower cap for a half hour, then rinse thoroughly and shampoo as usual.
- Straight vinegar applied directly to your scalp before shampooing can help with dandruff issues too.
- If you have itchy skin, like I do often, you can substitute a nice vinegar bath in place of oatmeal or bath salts. Just put 8 ounces of apple cider vinegar in your warm bath and soak until the water starts to cool.
Vinegar and Pets
- Our hound dog has floppy ears and they get dirty. For a simple cleaning agent we use straight white vinegar. We just put some on a tissue and clean the external parts of his ears.
- Our dog also itches, a lot. We give him a final treatment of 1/2 cup vinegar mixed with a gallon off water. Let this soak for 10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly (and don’t get it in your pets eyes).
Vinegar and Your Green Thumb
- Hate weeds? I get rid of them with a spray bottle of straight vinegar. Spray directly on the unwanted weeds and they will die off.
Always remember, with any home remedies, that you should seek medical advice before treating at home or if any symptoms persist over an extended period of time.