COMMENTARY | From Chipper to the Chop to chilling out at Turner Field, Atlanta Braves fans are about as loyal to their team as any who cheer on a baseball club, wearing their “A” caps of all types, or a jersey with Freddie Freeman’s, Tim Hudson’s, Brian McCann’s or Justin Upton’s number.
After yet another heartbreaking playoff loss, why not cheer up the Atlanta baseball fan on your Christmas list with something a little different? Attached is a list of 10 great gift ideas that may not be traditional, but will boost the holiday bliss for the Braves fan this December.
10) Atlanta Braves Youth Jayvee Backpack – Navy Blue/Red = $24.95. Kids love showing their team loyalty at school, and a backpack is a good way to do it. Plus, there are separate compartments for books and lunches. It’s the best deal since the Braves signed Evan Gattis.
9) Coleman Atlanta Braves Quad Folding chair – Navy Blue/Red = $34.95. It even has a cup-holder, ideal for camping or tailgating or sitting on your porch listening to Julio Teheran mow down opposing hitters.
8) Atlanta Braves Tundra Duffel Cooler – Black/Navy Blue = $65.95. This beats can and wine bottle options, because it could handle these or beer bottles, if packed creatively enough for pre-game tailgating. And it looks like it’s the only thing that could cool down Craig Kimbrel’s heater.
7) Atlanta Braves ProToast Elite Toaster = $39.95. This black toaster with a blue logo and white letter “A” proves that not all toasters are created equal.
6) Atlanta Braves Training Camp Watch = Sliver/Black = $49.95. The Braves have some slicker dark blue and silver analog gems for timepieces. But for the amateur athlete who likes to keep sports time, you’ve got to go with this one. If you aren’t an athlete, you can try and clock how quickly Andrelton Simmons runs to first.
5) Atlanta Braves #01 Pet Jersey-Red = $24.95. “Bark in the Park” is a sight to behold during the season. So take your pooch in style next year. Former manager Bobby Cox, a strong supporter of the event for dogs, would be proud.
4) Jason Heyward Atlanta Braves Pennant Based Player Bobblehead = $24.95. Turner Field gets crowded early on bobblehead doll night. In case that Braves fan couldn’t get a ticket that night, treat that person to a holiday souvenir. The one with Jason Heyward was my gift last Christmas from the kids.
3) Atlanta Braves Bulldog Holding Beware Of Sign = $24.95. This cute dog with a red sweater not only covers your Atlanta Braves fan, but also the University of Georgia Bulldog loyalist on your list.
2) Atlanta Braves Ladies B4 Night Shirt (Navy Blue) = $31.95. I can see gals (and guys attached to these gals) loving this dark blue nightie, with a white “A” in red trim.
1) Chipper Jones Atlanta Braves Frame 8″ x 10″ Photograph With Game-Used Baseball Piece & Descriptive Plate (Limited Edition) = $89.95. It’s a piece of history from Atlanta’s favorite hitter and third baseman … need I say more?
John A. Tures is a professor of political science at LaGrange College in LaGrange, Ga. Picture features a Jason Heyward bobblehead doll from Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves.