Every time I go to the grocery store, I always head to the produce section to grab one of my favorite fruits in the entire world, the kiwifruit. Often referred to as kiwis, this incredible edible has so many hidden secrets and recently, I had the opportunity to find 10 of them. Here are 10 things I recently discovered about kiwifruits…
1. Prevents Heart Attacks. Kiwifruit consumption has extensive benefits in preventing heart attacks. According to Dr. Asim K. Duttaroy and Dr. Aug Jorgensen who conducted a study in 2004, if you injest 2-3 kiwis a day for about a month, you will notice reduced TG levels and platelet adhesions.
2. Nature’s Aspirin Alternative. As the 2004 study was conducted by Dr. Duttaroy and Dr. Jorgensen, it was confirmed that kiwifruit works as a natural alternative to aspirin which signficantly reduces blood clots and heart attack risks.
3. Fights DNA Damage. Kiwis are loaded with Vitamin C which not only fights against all forms of DNA damage such as stress, aging, etc. but studies have proved that they work to boost your immune system, as well.
4. Amazing Source Of Antioxidants. According to kiwifruit.org, kiwis exemplify one of nature’s perfect foods. They provide an amazing source of antioxidants which work to reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
5. Perfect For Dieting. Because kiwifruit possesses no fat and is modestly low in carbohydrates, this fabulous edible is a stimulating essential for anyone dieting. In fact, according to the Glycemic Index, kiwis are in the average range.
6. Healthier Than Bananas. With over 310 mg of Potassium and no fat, eating a kiwi is a lot like eating a banana minus the calories. This is incredibly ideal with electrolyte balance and health.
7. Very Nutritious. When consumed raw, a large kiwifruit contains 3.9 grams of dietary fibers, 1.2 grams of protein, and less than 1 gram of fat, making it essentially one of the best foods you can ingest.
8. Not Always Fuzzy. Not every kiwifruit is fuzzy. In fact, there are 7 other varieties of the fruit which include Golden, Baby, Red, Purple, Arctic, Silver Vine, and Chinese Egg Gooseberry.
9. Allergic to Latex, allergic to kiwifruit. If you are allergic to latex and bananas or you are allergic to pineapples and papayas, more than likely you are allergic to kiwis. Although kiwifruit is considered a protein fluidifying enzyme, studies have shown this edible berry to be an allergen.
10. Over 1 Million Produced. There is over 1 million kiwis produced every year. According to the Food Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, roughly 2 million kiwifruits have been produced worldwide. In fact, almost 500,000 kiwis have been produced in Italy alone.