“Autumn, the year’s last, loveliest smile.” – William Cullen Bryant Scroll through Instagram, Facebook or even Twitter and you’re sure to notice an almost frenzy-like obsession with the season change from summer to fall. Maybe people get equally excited with every jump into a new season, but might as well talk about what’s to love about the here and now! Here’s a list of some of my favorite fall things, in no particular order.
1. Cooler Weather- Say goodbye to sweating! I think this is the most obvious and agreed upon reason to love fall weather. No more dying on the five minute walk between classes or as you step outside your office for a lunch break. The disappearance of sweltering, triple- digit temperatures is reason alone to jump for joy at the arrival of fall.
2. Hot Beverages- Nothing quite like starting the day by sipping on a steaming cup of [insert your favorite drink here]. Mine happens to be tea (any and all kinds), and my collection quickly multiplies as the brisk weather settles in. Whether it’s from Starbucks or your own kitchen, there’s no better way to embrace the season than with a cup of hot chocolate, tea, coffee, spiced cider or any other concoction you come up with.
3. Halloween- A holiday brimming with haunted houses, scary movies, festive parties and lots and lots of candy. Can you argue with any of that? Even if you don’t like making elaborate plans to go out and celebrate, staying home to hand out candy is just as much fun.
4. Thanksgiving- Food, food and even more food! Pretty sure that sums it up.
5. Fall Fashion- Time to get a little stylish and bring out the scarves, boots and Pea Coats. Finally able to dress in layers without have to change ten minutes later. Most clothing stores release their fall fashion lines just in time to assist you in making your wardrobe exciting again! I think I do a bit more shopping in this season as opposed to any other.
6. Football Season- For all the NFL enthusiasts who have patiently waited through baseball season, it’s finally your time to jump off the couch and shout incessantly at the TV. While I’m an avid soccer fan, I definitely get that for some people this is the sole reason to love this time of year.
7. Movies & TV Shows- Fall marks the return of many shows (the Big Bang Theory, Bones, CSI, Glee, Grey’s Anatomy, Modern Family, Sons of Anarchy, etc.) and the premiere of new shows you’ll quickly be adding to TiVo. Since I’m not much of a TV person, I look forward to the wide array of movies that hit theaters right after summer makes its exit.
8. Decorations- You know everything you’ve been pinning on Pinterest these past few months? Well now you can actually try out a few of the decoration ideas. Get in touch with your crafty and creative side as you deck out the house in festive décor. Here’s your excuse to spend more time (and money) in Hobby Lobby. You’re welcome.
9. Fall Baking- As soon as the first cool breeze of the season blows through, you can find me in my kitchen baking. After spending all summer living off of ice cream and avoiding the kitchen, I’m beyond excited to once again be able to put my Kitchen Aid back to good use. Also, it’s the season of pumpkin everything, which opens hundreds of new doors for must-try recipes. And another excuse to go on Pinterest.
10. Daylight Savings Time- If you’re like me and you’re always wishing you had just a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning, you eagerly await the time of year that brings back the hour that spring stole. It’s the only occasion I can actually fool myself (and others) into thinking I’m a morning person.
11. Changing Colors- Just because summer is over doesn’t mean the traveling adventures have to stop! For all nature-lovers (like myself), autumn is the prime time to sight-see! I’ve recently gotten into photography and the picturesque display of colors offers endless inspiration for my photos. You might get a little annoyed with the constant pictures of leaves in your Instagram feed, but I promise people will calm down a little bit. Just let them have their moment of excitement.
12. Countdown to other Holidays- For those of us who LOVE Christmas, the start of fall heightens the anticipation for other holidays. Basically it’s like the pre-season of soccer for me. By the time leaves begin to change colors, I’m already ready to start blasting Christmas music around the house.