Several years ago, I was a young mother experiencing some life-changing events. Those years were some of the hardest times of my life. I was constantly feeling anxious and stressed over many different issues. I would go to bed with worry only to wake up with fretfulness every day. One day, I decided that only God could help me with what I was going through, so I took the Bible and literally searched the scriptures for help.
I searched the Word like the thirsty soul I was, and as I did, I discovered one verse after another that filled me with hope, comfort, peace, strength, and guidance. For me, the discovery of those verses was as valuable as finding gold. I recall how I wrote each one of them down on little pieces of paper and memorized them. I took them to work with me, and every time I would feel fretful or stressed, I would repeat those verses over and over in my mind. And you know what? They always helped me feel better. Over the years, these same verses continued to be my mainstay in times of troubles. As a result of these verses, my faith has grown stronger over the years, and I have never allowed life to stress me as much as I did back when I was younger.
Although many of these verses may be familiar to many of you, I hope they will help you through tough times and strengthen your faith as well.
1. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
All. All means all. Not just some things, but all things. With Jesus, there is nothing we can’t accomplish or get through. Think for a minute of all the people Jesus helped in the Bible. He healed a woman’s blood flow of 12 years. He raised a grieving mother’s son from the dead. He fed thousands with a few fishes and a few loaves of bread. He made the blind see, the deaf hear and the mute speak. Now, compare your problems to that. If Jesus can do all those things, He can solve your problems, can’t He?
2. Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Too often, we suffer from troubled situations that we have brought upon ourselves by doing things the world’s way instead of Jesus’s way. When we strive to be like Him, and to follow His teachings to be humble and treat others the way He did, it is then that we will find peace in our lives. Sometimes, our life can seem so tangled and complicated, but the Way of Jesus is simple and easy: “Just be like Me, follow after My example,” and life will be much easier.
3. I Peter 5:6, 7 “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”
God loves you, and God wants you to bring your troubles to Him so that He can help you.
4. Ephesians 3:20 “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think…”
One day recently, I had an important bill that came due. I prayed that God would help me make the income I needed over the next week to pay that bill. The very next day, one of my writing clients sent me a whopper bonus check that MORE than covered the amount of the bill. For God to simply answer my prayer would have been abundance enough, but God went above and beyond more than I could have even imagined. Just trust Him and see what great things He can do for you.
5. Psalm 18:28, 29 “For You will light my lamp; the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness. For by You I can run against a troop, by my God I can leap over a wall.”
God can help you overcome your obstacles, improve your circumstances, and make your dark days brighter.
6. Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
Many times when we fall into trials and troubling times, we tend to think that God must be angry at us for some reason. While it is true that our sins and bad choices can bring bad consequences into our lives, this verse shows us that God’s thoughts toward us are of love, peace and desire to give us a better future.
7. Psalm 56: 3 “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.”
The devil wants to make us afraid because if he can, he can make us slip up and do foolish things. But, when we trust in God, we will not stumble. We can be afraid of many things: afraid we wont have money to pay bills, afraid of what test results might be, afraid of approaching someone, and so forth. It doesn’t matter what we are afraid of, if we deliberately, purposely put it in God’s hands, guess what? That fear disappears. Try it and see. The next time you are afraid of something, pray this verse to God, meaning it, not just reciting it, and see if it doesn’t make you less afraid. See if it doesn’t strengthen you.
8. Psalm 57:1 “Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by.”
This verse makes me think of a mother bird sheltering her babies beneath her wings while danger is nearby. God loves you and will help you through whatever you are going through. Just hide beneath the shadow of His wings.
9. Joel 2:25 “So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locusts have eaten.”
God will restore the years of what the locust have eaten. What does that mean? This verse is for those who feel that they have let God down and there is no going back, and that all is lost. We all have done things in our lives contrary to God, and as a result, brought disastrous consequences, shame and regret into our lives. However, we have hope and confidence in God that when we repent of those things and return to God, He will restore the good which was destroyed in our lives. It may not be restored to the exact previous state, but it will be restored nonetheless.
10. John 15:7 “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.”
When we strive to live in Christ and allow His words to guide our lives, Jesus assures us that our prayers will be answered according to His will and that all our needs will be supplied.
11. Matthew 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”
As Jesus said in this passage, God knows what you have need of, so you don’t have to worry about it. God is in control. When we put away our worries and instead focus on what we can be doing for God and for others, God is in the meantime supplying for our needs. I have experienced this way too many times to count. God has never failed to give me what I needed, and I know He will do the same for you.
12. Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
You have nothing to fear when you keep God always near.
13. Psalm 30:5 “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.”
As the saying goes, you have to endure the rain if you want to see a rainbow. When you endure times of sorrow and grief, just remember, this too shall pass, and God will replace it with something joyful.
14. Hebrews 13:6 “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
When you feel there is no one to help, remember that God is your helper. Ask Him for help and just see what He will do for you.
15. Psalm 34:17-18 “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.”
No matter how brokenhearted you are, always remember that you are never alone. God is always near to the broken in heart.
16. Psalm 34:19 “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.”
When the Israelites were thirsting in the desert, God made a bitter water hole sweet by commanding Moses to cut down a nearby tree and putting it in the water. God knows our troubles, and God always has a solution long before we ever do. God knows how to deliver us. Just trust in Him and wait for Him to provide it.
17. Philippians 4:6 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
Prayer truly is the most powerful force in the universe. No matter how severe or dire your circumstances, if you go to God in prayer, you will find a calming, a strength and a peace that fills you along with a confidence that all will be okay. There is nothing in the world like prayer. Note what the verse says about thanksgiving. Counting your blessings is important. When you recollect all the times God has helped you in the past, for all the good things God gives you on a daily basis, this gives you confidence that God will indeed help you out again.