Kris Versteeg, 27-year-old right winger, for the Florida Panthers, provides more laughs in this interview than we could begin to count. Versteeg may be known for his ice play, but his off the ice personality is all a part of his charm, and it just might have something to do with his love for Lucky Charms. After helping the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 2010, Versteeg has since been traded to the Panthers and is currently recovering from an injury.
20 QUESTIONS WITH KRIS VERSTEEG
1. How did you get into playing hockey?
My grandpa and dad brought me skating at 2 years old and when they turned their backs for a second, they looked back and there I was beating the s@&$ out of another 2-year-old in the corner of the ice. Right then and there they knew I was going to be a hockey player.
2. Who inspires you to keep playing?
My family inspires me daily to keep playing.
3. If you weren’t playing hockey for a living, what would you be doing?
I thought in my younger years I was going to be a fire fighter if I didn’t play hockey, but I most likely would be in tractor sales with my old man.
4.What do you consider your biggest strength on the ice?
5. You did a hilarious video for the Panthers selling season tickets, in it you talk about being the GM. What is one thing you would do if you actually got the chance?
Win a Championship at whatever level that may be.
6. What is the story behind your hockey number #32?
When I was called up by Chicago years ago, that was the number they gave me.
7. In three words, how would your teammates describe you?
“Full of Life” or “Full of Sh**”
8. Do you get nervous before games and what is your pre-game ritual?
I do get nervous in some way before every game I play, and I put on my right piece of equipment first.
9. If you were stranded on a deserted island, who would you want to be there with?
Any character from the TV series LOST.
10. What advice would you give to any new hockey player wanting to play the sport professionally?
Make sure you enjoy the journey along the way.
11. Tell us about your favorite cereal, and what cereal box would you most like to be on?
Lucky Charms and the Lucky Charms box, of course.
12. What has been your most memorable moment playing in the NHL?
Stanley Cup hands down.
13. We know you love to sing, what would be the name of your first album if you ever put one out?
81′ Mustang, because it’s the first car I ever drove and I don’t know where she is today. So hopefully a great love song will bring her back to me someday, and her name is Taz (don’t ask).
14. What player would you go with Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr and why?
Gretzky, cause he is the Greatest to ever play. Mr. Orr is a close second tho.
15. We know you have been one to show of your rap skills, but do you have any other special talents we should know about?
I’m very talented at annoying people.
16. How do you stay in shape and what is your favorite workout?
I have my personal trainer who keeps me in shape. And a good gun run and/or beach workout has to be my favorite
17. What is your life motto on and off the ice?
18. If you had the first pick in an NHL fantasy draft (and it cannot be you), who would it be and why?
Crosby, because he’s the greatest player in the world today.
19. Here we always like to ask for our readers, are you single, dating, or locked down?
I am dating and we got a 120-pound 2-year-old named Beauty.
20. What is your idea of a perfect date?
Something simple, good dinner and movie. I’m old fashioned though.
There you have it 20 questions with the talented yet hilarious Kris Versteeg!