1. Represent yourself honestly. (There’s no need to pretend to be someone that you are not.)
2. You have control. (If drama is created or growing on your pages, you get to decide if it stays or goes.)
3. Social Media is like being in a Public shopping mall with video cameras linked to the entire world. If you do not want it seen by others, it doesn’t go here.
4. If you see a notice of an Amber Alert or Important Public Notice, please confirm that it is a valid and current alert before posting. (So many people click, post, and share without checking, and people are becoming desensitized by all of the fake or outdated notices that they don’t pay attention to the very real and important ones.)
5. If you re-post or share from someone’s page, at least “like” their post to let them know that you were there.
6. If you post a quote-use quotations and give credit to the original author. (People know-and it’s the right thing to do.)
7. If you share a picture that belongs to someone else, most don’t mind if you re-size or share it, but don’t “crop” it to remove the original ownership. (Not only is it against the law, but it’s a small world, and they will eventually see it, and be hurt by it.) If it’s not yours, it means something to the person who took the time to create it or post it.
8. Be respectful of the APPS (Candy Crush, Farmville, etc) . (They are fun, and everyone uses them, but can become overwhelming when the Apps are allowed to post every win, loss, and needed item.)
9. People want to hear from you. That’s why you are on their friends list, but no one likes to have threats and insinuations thrown at them that they don’t love their children, or that bad things will happen if they don’t ‘like’ ‘share’ or ‘ re-post’ your picture or link.
10. Social media is a great place to forward a cause, but please refrain from posting pictures of injured animals and abused children. The ones that care already do, and the ones that don’t are glorified. It can also be very traumatizing to see.
11. You are connected to the world. Everyone can’t agree. It’s okay.
12. Social Media is meant as a way to connect with others in ways that were otherwise unimaginable. It is not meant to be used as a means of recruiting others to certain belief systems or unleashing hate because others are different. Different is the whole point.
13. People want to get to know you. They want to know what you like and learn new things from you, but they don’t need to know every move at every moment. (ie: toast and jam for breakfast at 7:30 am– kids off to school 8:00 am– swept floor 8:05 am)
14. If it says “FREE” and it sounds too good to be true– It’s spam. If your friends get messages from you that you didn’t send–you’ve been hacked. If you get a message that your friend is in another country and needs money, call them– they are probably at home. If it asks you to put in a certain word or number and “watch what happens to the picture”–Nothing happens.
15. If you have the greatest mother in the world, and you love your children with all of your heart— tell them. (It doesn’t help them know it when you to ask others to like, post and share if they love their kids too. That just makes it another random post.)
16. If you hear rumors-verify them or stay out of it- We can guess, but unless we witnessed it ourselves or can verify that it’s true-we have no place spreading it. (There are so many rumors on the internet, there are actually places that try to monitor and verify whether or not the posts are true—www.snopes.com is one such example.)
17. “Selfie” pictures are nice to see for special occasions or when you are at a special event, but only post them in moderation. Too many can get annoying. (Facebook is full of people with pictures of themselves posing in the bathroom mirror–they are not unique.)
18. If you choose to have a profile picture. Let it be you. You are important.
19. Everyone has opinions. It doesn’t make them right, wrong, or true.
20. Everything in moderation. Social media can be addicting. Remember to stay connected in other ways too!
21. Be REAL–Be Original–Be You! The rest is just a lot of work, and people see through it anyway.