My little ones are constantly putting things in their mouth, so I have to constantly watch them. Of course I want them to play with everything, just only everything safe. Lately, when my 4 month old started grasping things I became curious about which objects could be safe and unsafe for her, and I found out some objects I didn’t even think about can be quite unsafe.
1. Latex balloons
More children have suffocated on deflated latex balloons than any other toy. If your toddler gets a hold of a balloon and sucks on it, it can easily slip into their windpipe and cause a complete obstruction. This is why the CPSC recommends keeping balloons well out of reach of unsupervised children
2. Button batteries
Button batteries which are often found in toys, remotes, and even greeting card can easily get caught in a small child’s esophagus and can cause serious burns and severe or even fatal bleeding. Keep these devices away from infants and tots.
Any object that is not food is dangerous for a tot to put in their mouth, and a magnet is no exception. A magnet swallowed alone or with another object can easily perforate the intestine. This can lead to severe or fatal intestinal hemorrhaging.
Of course every tot and child is fascinated with their mother’s purse. It holds all the good stuff and kids know it. But just as enticing as it may look it is just that much dangerous for a tot. Purses hold a lot of stuff which means they have all kind of choking hazards. Gum, coins, makeup, pills. You might be able to keep your purse away from tots, but remember that tots can get into a visitor or a houses guest’s purse as well. Install a hook at the entry of your home to purses on, this way bags will be secure and away from tots. The best thing is you’ll never lose your purse again because you’ll know exactly where you left it.
I have found the best way to avoid a dangerous situations is to keep all unsafe objects away from my little ones, because I can’t be there watching them every second. It only takes a second for something dangerous to happen and so I would rather not take the risk. I give my kids their own toys; everything else is completely off limits. My kids know what’s theirs and what’s not, so they don’t ask for what’s not theirs. I try to limit my little one to a few toys at a time. She has a pair of colorful plastic keys she loves, and a teething elephant who makes wrinkly paper sounds. These toys are much safer and just as fun. My older daughter has a kitchen with little pots and pans, and I have minimized the amount of choking hazards in her toy box by constantly throwing out broken and unused toys. Happy baby proofing!