Losing weight can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. The key to losing weight and keeping it off is to make healthy choices without even having to think about it. Here are five simple things you can incorporate into your daily life that will allow you to shed some pounds.
- Park far away. Every time you pull into a parking lot, park at the far end of the lot. This will give you an extra minute or two of walking each time you go somewhere. That may not sound like much, but think about all the places you go in a typical day; your workplace, the grocery store, the mall, restaurants. Add up all those minutes over the course of a year and you could lose several pounds or more. As an added bonus, you will never have to sit and wait for someone’s parking spot.
- Take the stairs. Another way to get more exercise is to take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible. If you live in an apartment building, this should be easy as this can be several trips per day. You may also be able to take the stairs at your workplace, hospital, or library. Wherever you may be, skip the elevator and head for the stairs for easy weight loss.
- Don’t drink your calories. Replace high calorie drinks such as soda, beer, and coffee with cream and sugar, with lower calorie options. Choose iced tea with lemon, but skip the sugar. If you drink beer, go with Sam Adams Light or Guinness. Both beers taste great and you’ll save around 50 calories per bottle compared to regular beers. Try Earl Grey or breakfast blend tea instead of coffee, or at least cut down on the cream and sugar. Of course, try to drink as much water as you can since it has zero calories and is also free.
- Buy Smaller plates. Replace your big dinner plates with smaller salad plates. You won’t be tempted to fill your plate too full if you just don’t have the room for it. You will feel just as full after the meal as you did before but you’ll have saved yourself from eating an extra 100-200 calories.
- Split a plate. When you eat out at a restaurant, split a meal with somebody at the table. If that’s not an option, then have the waiter bring out a box right away and put half of the meal in there before you even start eating. Restaurant portions can be big and are often high in calories, so this is an easy way to save several hundred calories (and a few dollars) without having to give up the pleasure of eating a good meal.
So there you have five easy ways to lose weight and stay in shape. Make these tips a part of your daily routine today and reap the rewards for years to come.