Out of tragedy comes blessings – unexpected shimmers of light from a dark situation. This truth applies to the Trayvon Martin murder. He did not die in vain. The trial is over, but the results opened doors to change others for the better.
Five positive after effects of the Trayvon Martin case:
- U.S. citizens talk race again. The average Joe finally understands that the election of a black president didn’t make this issue go away. Stereotypes about people of color still exist and lead to deadly repercussions. Zimmerman killing Martin made this reality clear.
- Rachel Jeantel gets a scholarship. Radio mogul Tom Joyner offered to pay for this young woman’s education. Her lack of schooling played a role in her ability to articulate certain words and read cursive. Blasts about this shortcoming went all over the Internet. Fortunately, someone stepped up to help not criticize her. (Read story.) Jeantel can now improve her reading and oral skills.
- Masses challenge stand-your-ground laws. Stand-your-ground laws allow a person to use force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of an unlawful threat, without an obligation to retreat first. Although Trayvon wasn’t doing anything wrong, this controversial law is being reviewed to prevent other similar, unnecessary deaths. Every day citizens should not have the right to kill an unarmed male or female and afterward claim self-defense.
- Youth unite in protest and riot. George Zimmerman being found not guilty in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin lit a fire under youth. They took to the streets, marched and made their voices heard. This type of response shows that a generation of hooded, pants-sagging, rap-listening kids do care. They can be motivated depending on the right conditions. (Photos: Trayvon Martin Rally and March)
- Zimmerman serves as a symbol. Regardless of whether or not he ever spends a day in prison, the general public sees his behavior – the acts leading up to the shooting – as no longer acceptable in the fifty states. Being an outcast is no fun. Other Zimmerman wannabes will think twice before following in his foot steps.
In conclusion, the above are five positive after effects of the Trayvon Martin case. They make a tragic situation more palatable, easier to digest.
What A-Rod Did Right
Six Bizarre Holidays in August
Feel Better About Yourself Now