The act of writing is an age-old practice that finds daily use in so many different ways. But aside from how important writing is for our society to function as it does, it’s also important on an individual level. I’ve been writing recreationally for many years and I’ve found that it affects my life in a lot of different ways. Here, I want to share with you some of my personal opinions about why everyone should try writing for fun at least once in their life.
1. The main reason that we all should write, not just as work, is because we all know that bottling up our emotions isn’t healthy, and writing about our feelings can save us a lot of pain. Writing about how you feel is like writing a letter to someone that you won’t ever send; you can say anything you want and you don’t have to worry about what anyone will say or think about it, but you still got your feelings our one way or another. Simply keeping a journal of your thoughts and opinions each day is a relaxing ritual to set in place, and it’ll always be something that you can turn to when you’re stressed out.
2. Ever been misunderstood and have it cause a huge problem afterwards? We often get misunderstood by our peers because we can’t find the right words to say exactly what we’re trying to express. That’s where writing comes in; the more you write, the better command of words you will have. Reading more also helps to learn better how to speak and communicate effectively. As you write more you’ll find that you can much more easily form your thoughts into coherent speech and you’ll be much less likely to have a mishap due to clumsy word choice. Also, eloquence is considered a very useful skill, something that writing will most certainly train in you.
3. There are so many writers in the world, if you write yourself, it can open up an opportunity to meet new people and try new things. There are plenty of workshops and contests going on everywhere, at all times, that are often a really fun and enjoyable experience. There are so many places and events that writers go to meet that can be a really inspiring and you can make a lot of friends, the kind that like to listen.
4. Have you ever read or heard someone say something that gave you goose bumps? That literally changed the way you think? When you get into writing, you open up a whole world of touching phrases and moving stories that will have that effect on you. I’ve found that, especially with poetry, reading another person’s writing can be almost a life-changing experience. When you start writing, not only will that help you with inspiration and to develop your own style, but eventually you’ll be that writer that people read from to get the chills.
5. Overall, it’s a great tool towards self-awareness. Yes, it’s relaxing, yes, it’s inspiring, and yes, it’s useful but that’s just the beginning. As you write and get better control of your grammar, you’ll soon be able to write anything you want with ease. If you’re honest as you write, you’ll find out things about yourself you didn’t even know. By dumping all your thoughts onto the page without fear and without any kind of filter (like if you were afraid someone would read it), you can really surprise yourself.
Try writing something, anything, and you’ll see that, for all these reasons and more, this skill is life-altering. Thank you for reading, and happy writing!