Four years ago when I started my online business as a Marketing Coach, I had no idea what I was doing. I had loads of information and an awesome service that I knew the world would love. I purchased my domain name and a year of hosting, posted pictures and set up a merchant account. All I had to do was sit back and wait for the clients to knock my door down. Well, it didn’t really work that way. And it doesn’t work that way for anyone else either. Today, I’ve made it my mission to arm entrepreneurs with the tools necessary to take the world by storm and create an online business that will reach the masses using the little known and rarely talked about secrets that seasoned online marketers use.
- Tell an awesome story. As an online marketer in a products based or service based business, you should be eager to tell your story. Stories help connect the ideal customer or client to the product or service. Once the connection is made, this becomes a product or service that the perspective customer or client can’t live with-out. If you look at all the successful online marketers, Marie Forleo, Gabrielle Bernstein, Kate Northrup, etc. you will find an amazing story that goes along with the brand. Those stories have helped these women reach unheard of heights in their perspective industries.
- Take it to the streets. Somehow online marketers received the reputation of being online only (maybe that has something to do with the word “online” in the title), but the truth is, successful online marketers make it a point to connect with people one on one. To get to the point where I am I’ve attended hundreds of conferences, given out thousands of cards and smiled on several step and repeats. If you think that you can build a successful online business sitting at home in your pajamas behind a computer screen, you are sadly mistaken. Take that awesome story of yours and get out and spread the word. Offer to speak at local chamber of commerce about your expertise, speak at conferences, attend industry events (and events outside of your industry) and talk to anyone who will listen about what you do. Prospective customers or clients want to know that there is a real person behind the business.
- You don’t have to be everywhere online. This is a mistake that I see a lot of online marketers make. Many online marketers feel that they need to be on every social media network created. They have an account on facebook, twitter, linkedin, instagram, pinterest, youtube, vine, tumblr, myspace and the list goes on and on and on. You can’t effectively be everywhere. Choose 3-4 places where your ideal customer hangs out and hang out there as well. If your ideal customer isn’t on tumblr, why are you there? This is where knowing who is your target client comes in. If you can pinpoint your target customer or client, you can pinpoint the social networks that you should be on.
- Create a Consistent Brand. Several months ago I had to do something that was quite painful. I deleted the youtube page of the first business that I’d ever created. It had thousands of devoted followers that were not my ideal clients. That youtube page was about health, weight loss and dieting, which has absolutely nothing to do with business and marketing your business. To be taken seriously as a Marketing Coach, I couldn’t have pictures of me in bikini’s doing weigh in’s floating around the web. My youtube page had to match the persona on my facebook fan page, my twitter and my Instagram. That is a mistake that I see lots of newbies in online marketing make. They aren’t ready to let go of old persona’s that created a following. Trust me, a ton of your prospective clients and customers are going to google you and you may not want them to find you selling something totally different and maybe even embarrassing from 5 years ago. Keep all of your social networks consistent and relevant.
- Be authentically you. This is something that I wish someone had told me 4 years ago. I spent the first couple of years attempting to be the super professional, panty hose wearing business woman I’d learned to be in my television production days. I began to find that the thing that I loved to do was beginning to feel like a job and the customers I attracted were not the customers I had in mind. The best thing I was ever told was to be me and I would attract the clients I truly wanted. I put up the panty hose and began to embrace my Alabama accent. I allowed my silliness and quirkiness to show and I began to attract loyal followers who appreciated that silliness and quirkiness. Best of all, these were my ideal clients. When you show the authentic you and your ideal customers and clients find you, your products will fly off the shelf, your popularity in your industry will soar and so will your bank account. Most of all, you will live a life that you love, instead of feeling trapped being something that you aren’t.
These secrets that successful online marketers use have helped my career as well as the career of thousands of other online marketers in various industries sore. These core secrets can cause your business to grow exponentially faster than you ever thought possible. As simple as they seem, these secrets can make the difference between you sitting around the house wondering where the customers and clients are or you creating a life of financial, time and lifestyle freedom that you desire