In my opinion, females tend to fall into two categories regarding makeup – they either wear too much or not enough. Both scenarios lead a gal down the wrong path. Either you look like a clown or a Plain Jane. Improve your make up skills by utilizing the following tips.They are ones I have found to be helpful.
- Consult an expert. You can do this for free. Most department stores have cosmetologists on hand eager to make up your face. Use their services. Through them, you get see your potential; what you can look like when cosmetics are properly applied to your skin.
- Buy the proper tools. Some cosmetics go on better with a brush. I have found this to be true with BB cream, eye shadow and blush. So, improve your makeup skills by purchasing these tools. You can get them for an inexpensive price at a drug store.
- Toss out old makeup. Besides being unsanitary, old makeup is usually out of style. (See Makeup Expiration Dates.) As a result, you are following a trend that was hot a couple of years ago making you appear ‘dated’.
- Start with a clean canvas. Always wash your face thoroughly before applying any makeup. Afterward, apply toner and moisturizer. This process improves your makeup because it alleviates oil and hydrates your epidermis, two factors that affect the way a cosmetics reflect off the skin.
- Apply makeup in proper lighting. Dark lighting results in heavy application (too much makeup). Bright lighting results in light application (too little makeup). Your goal is somewhere in the middle. Therefore, put on your cosmetics under medium lighting.
- Stick to the basics. Unless you are a model or media personality, you can improve your makeup skills by sticking to the basics. They are foundation (or BB cream), powder, blush, lip gloss, mascara and eyeliner. Add other cosmetics onto this list for special occasions.
- Practice your technique. Most people don’t become experts at putting on their makeup until after years of trying. Like me, they start off putting on lip gloss as a teen and progress as they age. Practice does make perfect, which is why consistent usage helps you obtain a good ‘look’ eventually.
In conclusion, the above 7 tips are ways you can improve your makeup skills. They are simple and effective. For more information, see Makeup and Skin Care for Acne.
Also see: BB Cream 101 for Beginners