What do you know about the Motherland? Increase your knowledge with these eight fun facts about Africa. Africa is the world’s second-most-populous continent and covers 6 percent of the Earth’s total surface.
- Fact #1: The largest land animal resides in Africa. The African elephant weighs between 6 and 7 tons. Despite his size, this mammal is a herbivore and can exist (on average) up to 70 years in the wild.
- Fact #2: Africa is considered the birthplace of humanity. Paleontologist Donald C. Johanson discovered a skeleton dubbed “Lucy” in Hadar, Ethiopia. She lived approximately 3.2 million years ago and is considered to be the earliest human ancestor.
- Fact #3: Four of the fastest land animals reside in Africa. These quick animals are the cheetah, wildebeest, lion and Thomson’s gazelle. All of them run at speeds higher than 50 miles per hour. The cheetah is the fastest, traveling between 70 to 75 mph.
- Fact #4: A news outlet once joked that Tarzan could be president. The imagery and popularity of the novel Tarzan of the Apes gave rise to this comment from a New Orleans newspaper writer. He implied that if Tarzan ran for president in 1929, he would receive just as many votes as Herbert Hoover.
- Fact #5: Tunisia was the landscape for Star Wars planet Tatooine. Tatooine is a fictional planet and setting for several scenes in the Star Wars saga. Shooting occurred in the desert area of Tunisia, Africa reflecting the beauty of this area.
- Fact #6: Prior to colonization, Africa was a series of mini groups. Historians argue that Africa consisted of 10,000 different states and autonomous groups before the European invasion. Their size ranged from small family groups of hunter-gatherers to large kingdoms.
- Fact #7: North Africans are often practicing Muslims. The influence of Islam beliefs in North Africa began around seventh century A.D. Trade routes and migration caused the Muslim religion to spread into sub-Saharan Africa.
- Fact #8: Natives of Africa vary in appearance. Because of the melding of different ethnic groups, Africans differ in appearance. Their features mimic many nations around the world.
In conclusion, the above eight fun facts about Africa depict how interesting this continent is. Get more information about Africa by visiting Randomhistory.com.