We’ve all thought about it. What if we could go back and have a word with our younger selves? What would we say? What are the life-lessons that we have learned over the years that we would instill upon that unknowing individual? I have boiled mine down to 5 Tips of Empowerment for the Unknowing and Growing Me.
1) Fear of Failure Will Only Lead to Failure. Don’t be afraid to fail. The ones who aren’t afraid to fail are the ones who succeed in life. Put yourself out there, whether it be in marriage, work, school, or just life in general. It may never be perfect and it may never be pretty. Understanding this will allow you to overcome anything.
2) Don’t Let Anyone Tell You That You Can’t Achieve Something. The people who say that you can’t achieve something are the same people who listened to others who told them the same. Patience, hard work, and an insane amount of stubbornness are all that is necessary to achieve your goals.
3) Don’t Say It; Show It. Many people talk. Not many people care to act on it. Express yourself through action. If you want to see something change, you have to begin that change yourself. Instead of talking about how someone needs to do something to make things work better, YOU be the person that makes things work better.
4) Embrace Criticism. Criticism can often be hurtful, but you must learn to embrace it. If you aren’t being criticized, it means that you aren’t making big enough changes. There is always a cycle for big change-makers: they create the change, they are shown love for the change they are attempting, and then they are criticized by others when the change becomes large enough (sometimes these last two are swapped). Look at every great innovator and change-maker that ever lived.
5) Hold Your Head Up High…Always! If you are achieving anything great, there will be times of doubt and intense criticism. Sometimes you will feel like you are the only individual who can see the path. And sometimes you will just walk blindly on the path that you believe is in front of you. No matter what trials you go through, be strong and remember what you know lies ahead. Hold your head up, even when all failure, criticism, and doubt say you should do otherwise.
*For more motivation, you should check out this video of inspiration from Will Smith!