On Wednesday, the Nintendo Direct video gave gamers a glimpse into upcoming 3DS titles and new information about the Wii U. While some of the announcements weren’t big surprises, Nintendo certainly had some never before released information regarding one of its most beloved franchises, the Legend of Zelda.
Yesterday, speculation ran rampant due to a Spanish website listing a 3DS version of Majora’s Mask. Nintendo fans hoped the leak was real and a remake of the classic Zelda game was in the works. However, this rumor did not surface on the video. What was announced is actually something much more significant. Here’s some of the biggest news from this morning’s video.
* A new Legend of Zelda game is being developed. This title will take place in the same world as a Link to the Past. It will feature a top-down view, just like the original. However, this isn’t a 3D remake. The new Zelda will have all new dungeons. There is even a new feature where a Link drawing will be able to squeeze himself against walls. The game will be available exclusively for the 3DS this holiday season.
* Last month it was announced that the Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons Zelda game would be coming to the North American eShop. We now have a release date of May 30.
* Gamers have been asking for a Mother 2 (Earthbound) North American release. It was announced that it will be available on the Wii U Virtual Console by the end of this year.
* Nintendo has declared this “the Year of Luigi.” One of the ways they are celebrating is by releasing downloadable content for the Super Mario Wii U title. This downloadable content will change the game to make it more fitting for Luigi’s abilities, like jumping higher than Mario. It is being described as a new game, even though it is DLC. It will be available this summer.
* The Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS remake will feature eight new levels. It will also have two difficulty settings. One is the original difficulty from the Wii release. The other is an easier difficulty that is said to be better for newcomers and people who thought the Wii version was too hard. The game will also feature local co-op. It will be released on May 24.
* The Wii U will be getting an update next week. Changes include faster loading times, the ability to install software while playing, and downloading software while the Wii U is off. The Virtual Console for the Wii U will also be available next week. The highly anticipated Wii U game Pikmin 3 will be released on Aug. 4.
* Plenty of other games were mentioned for the 3DS like the new Yoshi’s Island, a new Mario Party, an action/puzzle downloadable game called Mario and Donkey Kong Minis on the Move, and the Lego City Undercover prequel. A new Animal Crossing 3DS XL bundle with the game pre-installed will be available for $219 this June.