In this day and age when bed bugs have become so prevalent in many a bed, the basic consensus is still there that they’re not harmful to the health. So far, those plagued with bed bugs don’t have to face the possibility of having a fatal disease if bitten by these pests. But is the idea that they’re not harmful starting to wane with the knowledge that bed bugs can create allergic reactions?
The problems compound when there’s the realization that bed bug anaphylaxis can possibly occur in some people. How can you tell, though, whether your allergic reaction is really from bed bug bites or from something else? Some of the clues will have to come in checking your skin after waking up in the morning.
Checking for Bite Marks
If you spend a lot of time in hotels or other locations that have recurring guests coming and going, it’s a good chance bed bugs could be a problem. It’s a good idea to inspect your skin in the morning to see if you have any bed bug bites. These usually look like little red marks that could be slightly itchy.
In the above scenario, that slight itchiness will be perfectly normal if you suspect bed bugs are in your home or hotel bed. What happens, though, when you start having an allergic reaction to bed bugs? You might not even be aware you have an allergy to them until noticing severe symptoms.
Typical Allergic Reactions to Bed Bugs
When the itching on those bed bug bites starts to worsen, it could be an allergic reaction. However, you’ll have other signs to know for sure, specifically if the redness gets worse and the itching won’t stop after applying any skin creams. While certain skin allergies can occur due to other factors, it’s the sign of the little bite marks first that will help you determine whether it’s truly from bed bugs.
This can be scoped out more accurately when you see your doctor and they trace back where you were. If you travel considerably within days, you may have to trace back to where you possibly could have been exposed to bed bugs.
The Possibility of Anaphylaxis
Any prospect of going into anaphylactic shock from a bed bug bite is near equivalent to the fear of these bugs passing on disease. Regardless, anaphylaxis from a bed bug bite is still quite rare if still potentially deadly without proper treatment. It can also be confusing if you already suffer from food allergies and end up going into anaphylactic shock from bed bug bites instead.
An immediate thought might be that someone going into anaphylactic shock accidentally consumed one of the foods they’re allergic to, like peanuts. In those cases, injecting epinephrine from an EpiPen will help them recover instantly if still requiring hospitalization. Yet, what happens if anaphylactic shock occurs for the first time?
With bed bugs becoming so common today, an immediate inspection of a person’s skin will have to be done by medical teams if they see someone go into a first-time allergic shock. Only the sign of bed bug bites will determine for sure that it’s not a reaction to food.
It’s all an unexpected part of bed bugs creating confusion over specific medical conditions that we’ll hope stays rare. Only expert extermination of bed bugs from public places and your own home will prevent an era of mass confusion occurring over whether bed bugs are just a nuisance or the downfall of our civilization.