One of the biggest movies coming out in summer of 2014 is arguably “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” the monumental film that will see the casts of both the original X-Men trilogy and “X-Men: First Class” come together for one of the biggest superhero film events yet. Acting as the seventh installment in the X-Men film saga, “Days of Future Past” brings back director Bryan Singer after his heated split from the franchise in the mid-2000’s to direct “Superman Returns” for WB.
The story for “Days Of Future Past” deals with a dystopian alternative future in which mutants are incarcerated in internment camps and switches between present day in which the X-Men fail to prevent an assassination of Senator Robert Kelly at the hands of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and the future where Sentinels (giant, mutant hunting killer robots) rule the United States. The present-day X-Men are forewarned of the possible future by Kitty Pryde (in the film portrayed by Ellen Page) whose mind has traveled back in time and possessed her younger self to warn the X-Men.
Now here’s what we do know about the project as it currently stands;
– Bryan Singer (director of X-Men and X2: X-Men United) is directing the film.
– The film is written by Simon Kinberg (Mr and Mrs Smith, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men: First Class) , Bryan Singer, and Matthew Vaughn (director of X-Men: First Class) based on a treatment by Vaughn.
– Matthew Vaughn, who was originally slated to direct, is producing the film.
– The film is a sequel to X-Men: First Class and will be primarily set in 1973 (11 years after the events of First Class). All of the X-Men films thus far (X-Men, X2, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and First Class) will be acknowledged and not ignored.
– Thus far, confirmed cast members include James McAvoy (Charles Xavier – past), Michael Fassbender (Magneto – past), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique – past), Nicholas Hoult (Beast – past), Patrick Stewart (Charles Xavier – future), Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Ian McKellen (Magneto – future), Anna Paquin (Rogue), Shawn Ashmore (Iceman), Ellen Page (Kitty Pryde), Daniel Cudmore (Colossus) and Halle Berry (Storm).
– Peter Dinklage, Booboo Stewart, Fan Bingbing and Omar Sy have been added to the cast in unspecified roles.
– The only cast member confirmed not to be returning so far is Alan Cumming (Nightcrawler).
– Like Kennedy in First Class, Richard Nixon is a character in the film.
– The movie will film in Montreal from April 15 – October 2013.
– Oscar winner John Myhre (X1, Wanted, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) is the production designer.
– Newton Thomas Sigel (X1, X2) returns as the films director of photography.
– Louise Mingenbach (X1, X2, Superman Returns) is the films costume designer. The film is ditching the previous leather costumes featured in the first three movies.
– The film will shoot in native 3D, but NOT in 48 fps.
– VFX Oscar Winners, The Moving Picture Company (Life of Pi) will be working on visual effects for the film.
“X-Men: Days of Future Past” will be released July 18, 2014. For future news on the film, keep checking back to Yahoo! or follow director Bryan Singer who’s been known the past few months to let announcements leak through his twitter feed.