I love paper crafts. Just the thought of transforming a plain sheet of paper into something that will bring a smile to a person’s face fills me with excitement. That’s why I’m always looking for new tools and techniques that I can use to create a paper craft project. There are plenty of special tools on the crafting market to create borders and designs on the edge of paper. A search on Amazon.com shows thousands of choices for Paper Punches. The other day, a $39.95 state-of-the-art paper cutter caught my eye. This machine seems amazing. It slices, perforates, and scallops, thus making it perfect for paper crafts and scrapbooking. However, since I gear my crafts to frugal DIYers, the thought of coming up with a card craft that required DIYers to invest $39.95 was out of the question. Therefore, I came up with an easy way to have the look of special paper edging for less. This quick and easy DIY craft is fun for children of all ages.
1 sheet of white plain paper
1 sheet of white card stock paper
Markers and crayons
Single Hole Puncher
How to Create Your Mother’s Day Card
1. Use the plain sheet of white paper as a template.
2. Take your sheet of plain white paper and place it on top of your card stock paper.
3. Fold both pieces of paper in half either vertically or horizontally.
4. Draw a scalloped edge along the edge of your template paper.
5. Open the card so that you are only handling the front of the card.
6. Cut along the line to form a scalloped border on the front of the card.
7. Next, draw a straight line on your template. The line should be approximately 2 inches from your scalloped edge. If you are making a vertical card, this will be the right edge of your card. On a horizontal card, the 2-inch mark will be up from the bottom edge.
8. Using your hole puncher, make holes in a random pattern. I like to start on one end and work my way to the other end.
9. Remove your template.
10. The card stock paper is now ready to decorate.
11. You can color in the border or leave it plain.
12. For ideas on what to write inside of your card, visit Mothersdaycelebration.com.
You can use this card for any occasion. Feel free to add more designs, decorations, bling rhinestones, and change the color of the border. The best part about this craft is that you decide how to decorate your card, and you don’t have to spend a lot of money on special tools.