This recipe can be used for anyone, but is especially good for poor college students looking for easy meals. Next time your family asks you if you’re eating anything that requires more steps than a can opener and microwave, you can tell them you’re cooking homemade meals.
1 package of Knorr’s Herbs & Butter Rice
2 cups of cold water
1 tablespoon of butter, margarine, or olive oil
¼ cup of butter or margarine
2 teaspoons oregano
2 tablespoon basil
2 teaspoons thyme
½ teaspoon cumin
Hot sauce (to taste)
¼ cup shredded cheese (any kind)
¼ cup Kraft® grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine rice, water, and one tablespoon of butter in a 2-quart pot. Heat to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for seven minutes. (Stir every 3 minutes to keep the rice from sticking.)
3. Remove from heat.
4. Immediately add grated cheese. Stir.
5. Add additional butter, spices, and shredded cheese. Stir.
7. Add hot sauce to taste.
8. Refrigerate leftovers.
Variations and Notes
1. By adding the grated Parmesan cheese immediately, it will absorb extra liquid.
2. Knorr® rice is usually $1 at your local supermarket, making this one of the cheapest dishes to create.
3. Any of the optional ingredients can be removed without hurting the dish.
4. I like to add Kicker Sauce® by Domino’s Pizza, which is usually leftover from pizza I ordered a couple of days ago. However, any hot sauce will work. Sriracha hot sauce has recently become popular in the United States and increases metabolism.
5. Using butter or oil makes the rice less likely to stick to the pan.
6. If you use a larger pot, make sure you keep an eye on it and stir the rice more frequently to keep it from sticking.
7. The meal is generally ready in 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Increase cheese to make the dish more flavorful.
9. The more butter you add, the runnier the dish will be. If you want to add more than ¼ of a cup of butter, add additional cheese to absorb some of the moisture.
10. For additional spice, add one teaspoon of crushed red peppers.
This is a quick, easy, and cheap side dish. Impress your friends, roommates, and family with your superb culinary skills.