False facts about the Bible; they are rampant. Most people aren’t scholars of this work, so they believe whatever they hear. For this reason, certain untruths prevail about one of the best selling spiritual guides in history.
- The Bible is a book. The Bible is actually an anthology, a collection of writings by several people. Consider the New Testament, this text was written by various apostles which is why the focus on Jesus’ life varies book to book.
- Jesus was European. Based on his location and heritage, he would have been Middle Eastern with olive skin, coarse hair and dark eyes. Modern depictions of Jesus are based on cultural biases such as exhibited by famed artist Michelangelo.
- Man fell over an apple. An apple was allegedly the forbidden fruit given to Adam by Eve. In Genesis, there is no description of this fruit. So, no one really knows what kind of fruit she gave him.
- Money is the root of all evil. This belief is based on the often misquoted scripture 1 Timothy 6:10. It reads: “the love of money is the root of all evil”. The first part is left off by the average Joe.
- Cleanliness is next to godliness. A popular saying not in the Bible. Although God wants to cleanse man’s soul, lifestyle regarding personal hygiene or homemaking aren’t as important.
- Noah took only two animals of every kind with him on the ark. According to Genesis 7:2-3, he also took seven of every clean animal. Scholars believe they were used for burnt offerings.
- Pride goes before a fall. Another misquoted scripture. Proverbs 1616:18 reads: “Pride goes before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall”. The middle part is left out by most post people.
- Jesus was born on Dec. 25. Historians cannot agree on his month or date of birth. Answers on how Jesus’ birth date was chosen also varies amongst theologians.
The above are eight false facts about the Bible people believe. Mostly, these misconceptions are harmless. They just prove that taking time to read this work for one’s self is key.