Baseball fans get ready! The most exciting time in the entire baseball is almost here: the World Series. With all the excitement these baseball play-offs have given us so far, I’m 100% certain the Fall Classic will not disappoint. As you’re busy shopping for your World Series snacks, washing your favorite jersey, and making sure your DVR is set to capture every pitch, here are some World Series facts and figures to wet your appetite!
5) Yogi Berra is the player with the most World Series rings. Berra tops our list with an amazing ten rings in sixteen years! I will say that level of dominance is unprecedented in today’s game! It is not surprising though that of the top 20 players with the most World Series rings in baseball history, only one player did not win a ring with the New York Yankees and that was Eddie Collins who won six rings with the Philadelphia A’s and Chicago White Sox.
4) Eight current MLB teams have never won a World Series. It’s hard to imagine that in the 110 years of the Fall Classic, eight teams still haven’t won the World Series! Those eight teams are the Colorado Rockies, Seattle Mariners, Milwaukee Brewers, Texas Rangers, Tampa Bay Rays, Houston Astros, San Diego Padres, and the Washington Nationals (formerly Montreal Expos). Of those eight teams only two have never even played in the World Series and those teams are the Seattle Mariners and Washington Nationals.
3) The World Series MVP was first awarded in 1955. Since, then only three players all time have ever won multiple World Series MVPs. Sandy Koufax was crowned MVP in 1963 and 1965. Bob Gibson pitched his way to multiple World Series MVPs in 1964 and 1968. The only hitter to win multiple World Series MVPs was Reggie Jackson in 1973 with Oakland and then he had that epic three home runs in three pitches with the Yankees in 1977 winning him his second World Series MVP award.
2) The cost for a World Series ticket to the first World Series that was played between Pittsburgh and Boston in 1903 was .50! If you want to attend the Fall Classic this year tickets will cost you about $520 to sit in the nosebleed section!
1) Everyone knows that the New York Yankees have won the most World Series with 27 titles. However, the team that has lost the most World Series is in fact the New York Yankees as well! The Yankees have appeared in the World Series 40 times and have lost 13 times.
This writer is a Pirates fan, and even though they won’t be playing in the World Series this year, I hope for a close, nail-biting Fall Classic!