Christmas is a great time for families to travel. There are many festive events and activities. It is also interesting to see different holiday traditions and cultures. Below are the top five destinations, near and far, to travel over Christmas.
1. New York . New York, New York is an iconic Christmas destination for adults and children alike. Airfare, if purchased early, can be very affordable. According to Expedia, ticket and hotel costs for two adults and one child from Denver, CO ranges anywhere from $640 to upwards of $2,000.
There are many fun Christmas related activities. Take a spin around The Rink at Rockefeller Center for a fun morning adventure. Radio City Christmas Spectacular is another event not to be missed. With the Rockettes in perfect unison and a show of holiday values and glam, you and your family are sure to love it! Tickets start at $46 per person and information and purchasing details can be found at www.radiocitychristmas.com
Website for The Rink: therinkatrockcenter.com
2. Brussels. Brussels, Belgium is a lovely European Christmas destination. Expedia quotes ticket and hotel costs, from Newark, NJ from $1,200 and up for two adults and one child. What makes Brussels special is its huge and iconic Christmas markets. The Brussels Christmas market stretches two kilometers with shops, open air food stands, souvenir shops, attractions, and cafes. Attractions include an ice skating rink, ice sculptures, and a ferris wheel! More information can be found at www.christmasmarkets.com
3. Quebec . Don’t want to travel as far as Europe, but still want that European charm? With it’s quaint cobble stone streets and cozy restaurants, Quebec will not disappoint. For two adults and one child, from Denver, CO, Expedia quotes from $800 and up. Activities in Quebec include an open air Christmas market, an arts and crafts Christmas Extravaganza, and a toy parade for the kids! More information can be found at www.quebecregion.com
4. Finland . Lapland, Finland is a picturesque, white Christmas, destination. The cost is generally cheaper than more popular European destinations, such as Paris or London. Expedia quotes $1,500 to $1,700 for a roundtrip ticket from Newark plus hotels. This price is for two adults and one child. Forbes magazine claims that “Finland is a place with conditions prime for holiday revelers and where Christmas fantasies abound.” These “Christmas fantasies” refer to the famous Santa Clause Village and Santa Park. People all over the world visit these kid friendly theme parks where you will find ice sculptures, quaint shops, Santa, and even an elf workshop!
Website for Santa Clause Village: www.santaclausvillage.info
Website for Santa Park: www.santapark.com
5. Sydney. Looking for a warm destination for Christmas? Sydney is an ideal place for warm festivities while keeping the holiday traditions. Festivities revolve around parades and concerts. For the kids, there is also Christmas on the Green, a music festival. Being the furthest Christmas destination, Expedia quotes from $3,000 and up for two adults and one child, from Newark.
Website for Sydney Christmas Activities: www.sydneychristmas.com.au