Maybe you already have silver to pass down, or a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings, or maybe even a 100-year-old clock. But what about something you’d like to create now, to let future generations get a glimpse of who you were? There are plenty of inexpensive heirlooms you can create with a tiny amount of money, a modicum of effort, and a very large heart.
- 1) Each generation loves to talk about Mom or Grandmother’s homemade cooking. It’s a fact that when food is prepared with love, it tastes better. Even though you won’t be able to specify the exact amount of love to add on the recipe card, use your Sunday best handwriting to create ten, twenty or thirty cards to put inside a vintage recipe box. Tie them with a satin ribbon and you’ve got yourself a lovely heirloom to pass down through the generations. And they’ll think of you every Sunday during the family dinner.
- 2) Pillow making is fun and easy. All you need is fabric, a needle and thread (or sewing machine) and foam or stuffing. There are a number of ways to personalize the pillow. Try cutting out or creating a pattern for your family’s last name initial; create a pattern for your own, or someone else’s profile silhouette; or perhaps patternize a baby’s hand. Whatever you decide, your family will adore the pillow for years to come.
- 3) Nowadays, it’s easier than ever to create a scrapbook. If you aren’t into the mess of it, try the many online sites that allow you to create one digitally. It will cost you a little bit more, and may be a little less individualized creatively, but you will be left with a stunning masterpiece. Families are proud of their own, and creating a fun, whimsical, sentimental scrapbook to highlight the family’s achievements and everyday life will be treasured forever.
- 4) Don’t have time to make a scrapbook? Gather up your most precious photos and place them side by side in a simple photo album. In these times of digital images, we rarely get to see and handle actual photos anymore. Your family will appreciate a photo book they can browse through at their own leisure. Creating thematic photo frames, with either single or multiple openings, are sure to be handed down as well.
- 5) Jewelry is easier to create than you might think. Watch a few Youtube videos to help figure out the basics, then sooner than you realize you’ll be creating beautiful earrings, necklaces, and bracelets. Make them for holiday gift giving, or if you’re really loving it, sell your pieces at craft fairs. Either way, keep a few to hand down to your daughters and daughters-in-law so generations to come can appreciate and wear your creativity and proudly announce it as “a family heirloom” when they receive the many compliments.
All it takes to create a family heirloom is a little time and love, and the ones that come after you will adore and appreciate your efforts probably more than you will ever know.