For some strange reason, we as human beings love to be scared. We enjoy sitting on the edge of our seat and waiting for the killer to jump out and attack that dumb kid who ventured into the dark, creepy house alone. Horror and gore are active all year round, but it seems they come out stronger during Halloween. This Halloween season here are five horror movies you need to watch — and remember to press pause when trick-or-treaters come to your door.
5) The Shining. I will admit having seen this movie as a young boy about 15 years ago. This movie is downright terrifying. Jack Nicholson absolutely kills it as Jack Torrance and also gives the viewer such iconic lines as, “Here’s Johnny!” One of the big perks in this movie is that it gives the viewer a great scare without a lot of gore.
4) The Haunting in Connecticut/The Amityville Horror. Both of these premises are similar. A house is believed to be haunted and causes the family to see/experience terrifying things. One of the things that makes these movies even more scary is that the people behind the stories in these movies claim these events actually happened. It’s tough to say if their claims are true, but I guarantee if you wait until evening, pop one of these movies in your DVD player, turn the lights off and you will be terrified!
3) Psycho. This Alfred Hitchcock movie might not give you all the scares that a modern Wes Craven film may, but this is a classic in terms of suspense, thrills, and it is one of the earliest movies to portray a story of a mentally ill person. This movie is a must for fans of thrills, surprises, and good scares. Another added bonus is that Psycho has one of movie’s most iconic scenes when Janet Leigh screams in the shower.
2) The Exorcism/The Omen. Both movies have had multiple remakes and both dwell and tell stories that deal with similar themes: evil spiritual forces. Part of what makes these movies so terrifying is that we don’t fully understand spiritual forces, most of us believe they exists, and we acknowledge that these evil forces are more powerful than we are. However, The Exorcist, in my opinion, is more terrifying since it portrays a story where evil forces possess a normal person.
1) Silence of the Lambs. Anthony Hopkins is spectacular in this flick and his portrayal of serial killer
Hannibal Lecter will cause you to sleep with one eye open for weeks after you re-watch this flick. This is a movie that is so good, because it plays with your mind, and it causes you to ask the disturbing question: Could this actually happen to me?
This Halloween season, make sure to watch a few good horror flicks! The above list is a great guide if you’re looking to watch a film that is both well-made and genuinely scary!