Most people associate witches with Halloween or scary movies. Quite a few television shows about witches have been popular over the years. Some are comedies; others are a little sexy and mysterious. But have you ever considered that your’ next door neighbor could be a real witch. A poll taken in 2000 estimates that over 750,000 witches and pagans live in the U.S..Most witches practice an ancient belief system called Wicca that has its’ roots in Europe. Wicca is an earth religion. The Earth is considered sacred as well as many of its’ natural objects like: plants and herbs, precious and semi precious stones and metals. A witch uses the energy in these natural objects to make all sorts of good luck charms, love potions and cast spells. They recite spells and incantations to bring money, prosperity and protection. Contrary to common belief Wiccans and witches do not practice black magic, says Raven, a practicing witch from south west Florida. One of the most sacred virtues to a Wiccan is; bring harm to none. Below are five spells that Raven recommends for beginners interested in the craft.
1. Money Charm: to help bring more money into your life make a simple pouch with a square piece of green cloth. On top of the cloth place a little gold or silver jewelry, coin or even a dollar bill will be fine. Something that symbolizes money and wealth is the important part. Also place a cinnamon stick on the cloth for it has money attracting properties. Gather up the ends of the cloth and tie the pouch closed with a green thread or ribbon. State your intentions in the form of a prayer or incantation over the charm. Be as specific as you like when asking for financial blessings in your life. Place the pouch outside for a day to absorb the suns energy. Now it is ready to carry with you. Place the charm in your’ pocket or purse. If you own a business put it on top of the cash register.
2. Good Luck spell: Go outside in your yard or a park and look for clover. Pick 3 pieces of clover. You don’t have to find four leaf clovers because all clover is believed to have lucky energy and regular three leaf clover will be fine to use for this spell. On a table arrange three white candles in a triangle pattern. Place the three clovers on the table at the center of the candles. Light the candles and repeat three times: Bring good fortune with the power of three and multiply my prosperity. Do this anytime you need extra luck like before a job interview, a business meeting or going to the casino.
3. Love Spell: From the stationary department of a favorite store buy a red or pink note paper and envelope. A Valentine’s Day card and envelope can also be used. You will need a red rose, perfume and red lipstick as well. Write the characteristics of the type of lover you’re searching for on the paper and place it in the envelope. With the rose pluck off each petal and say he/she loves me. Do not say he/she loves me not. When all the petals have been plucked off hold them in your hand and visualize for a moment or two being in love and happy with that special person. Then place the petals into the envelope. Now seal the envelope with a kiss. Be sure that the red lipstick makes an imprint of your lips on the envelope. Then spray the envelope with your favorite perfume. If you’re a dude just draw a heart where the seal is. Hide the love spell in a safe place and never open it. You will meet someone special soon.
4. Good fortune charm: This charm is one of the easiest beginner spells to try. But don’t underestimate this charms power based on its’ simplicity. An old oak tree is considered sacred and believed to have special energy. Find such a tree and look underneath of it for acorns. Take three of the acorns and thank the tree for them. Then ask that the energy from the sacred oak tree flow from the acorn thru you times the power of three. Carry the acorns with you for a month to receive blessings of good fortune from the universe. When the month is over plant them where they will have a chance to grow.
5. Financial Prosperity: In this spell you will need to burn a little bit of pine which is symbolic of money. If you have a fire place inside or out either will be perfect. A couple pieces of burning charcoal in a metal bowl will also do nicely or even a gas BBQ grill. Gather some pine needles from under a pine tree. If you see any pine cones pick one up. Also pull a little loose bark from the tree. Hopefully there is some sticky sap on the bark with the wonderful smell of pine, which is the best for this. The use of cinnamon enhances this spell so add some to you other items. When you have a small fire going, or after the charcoal have turned white. Simply place the pine on top off the burning embers letting it smoke and eventually catch on fire. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and ask for financial blessing as the energy from the pine is released into the universe.
 2000: The Covenant of the Goddess conducted a year-long poll of Witches and Pagans, starting 1999-JUL. They estimate that the total number of Witches and Pagans in the United States is about 768,400. Witches Count!,” press release, Covenant of the Goddess, at: http://www.cog.org/cogpoll_final.html