The senior year of high school is an exciting time for every individual, but what do you do when you have received your diploma and realize that the guy or girl you have been dating will now be a few hours away from you?
I have been there and done that. Looking back, I am glad that I went through this experience, but it is something that I would not recommend anyone go through an experience like this. After being put through this, I am a firm believer that your high school relationships should remain in high school. I feel this way for many different reasons, all of which I will share with you.
Long-distance relationships are hard for any and everyone involved, which does include your family. However, the situation is even harder when you mix meeting new people and the stress of school work into everything.
- You will be attending a new university, which means new everything, especially new people, for both individuals involved in the relationship. The bottom line is that you are both young, and when meeting new individuals who are in the same place and experiencing the same things you are, you never know what type of feelings you may establish for someone.
- When in this type of situation, there always ends up being insecurities and lack of trust on both parties. Being in a new place without the comfort of mommy and daddy around can cause one to be insecure because you have to learn how to be independent and make your own choices. Having insecurity causes problems in long-distance relationships, because one may not understand exactly what your other is going through.
- While these are reasons as to why long-distance relationships in your first year of college do not work. there are some ways to make the relationship work.
In order for it to work, you both need to have confidence.
- Confidence in who each of you are, and confidence that your relationship will work out.
- You must trust one another because, I promise, that you will both meet new people, some being of the opposite sex. Therefore, you must trust that your partner’s new friendships will not go past friends.
- Communication is key. It is important that the two of you talk about everything, especially when you have a disagreement, because it is a matter of letting your partner be aware of your thoughts and feelings.
Though, I still would not recommend long-distance relationships during this time, it very well could work. Good luck!