One of the best aspects of being a writer is using this talent to help others. I was able to do this for a local church looking to start an outreach program for teen girls. They were struggling financially, but through a grant were able to fund this project. Through this process, I learned a lot about how to apply for grants and obtain free money.
Get grant money for your non-profit organization:
- Search for grants online. You don’t need to purchase a fancy book or call the government. Use search engines like Google and Yahoo to discover who is giving away money through grants. Also, contact local corporations, most of them are looking for opportunities to shine in their community.
- Apply for grants that fit. Don’t ask for funding from a resource that wants to help farmers if your non-profit organization supports abused women. Select a grant that matches your core values and group. This act alone increases your chances of getting monetary support.
- Follow the instructions. Read the directions on the grant carefully. They detail exactly what the giver wants from you to consider supplying your non-profit organization with aid. This may include bios, financial records, and other items to prove your need and reliability. Refrain from adding additional information that is meaningless.
- Hire a grant writer if necessary. When thousands of dollars are on the line, the services of this type of professional can be beneficial. People on your staff or volunteers don’t always have the writing skills to produce a legible or effective grant. In this case, it’s best to seek outside assistance.
- Prepare for a visit. If your organization is selected as a potential grant recipient, representatives from the entity giving away the funds may want to visit. Clean up your facility and prep key leaders to answer questions. In other words, be sure your house is in order.
- Use the money as allocated. Misappropriation of grant funds can lead to legal troubles. You may have to give the money back and face criminal charges. And, at the very least, your non-profit organization will look fraudulent.
These tips for getting grant money for your non-profit organization work. Employ them and move your cause forward.
Use Leftovers to Clean Your Home
Lazy Girl’s Guide to Spring Cleaning
Five Ways to Clear Out Your Closet