When we order garden salads in a restaurant, there are usually cucumbers in them. Known as a “superfood”, cucumbers are the fourth most cultivated vegetable in the world (Du Toit). If you eat them with the skin on, know that they may have been sprayed with pesticides. To avoid pesticides altogether, buy organic or grow your own (Du Toit). Cucumbers have many health benefits:
- • Great for the skin and hair. Cucumber skin is soothing for sunburn. Putting cucumber slices over the eyes reduces puffiness. They are also used to “calm down acne” (Gardening Channel).
- • Antioxidant. Cucumbers contain three ligands: lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol. Research has shown them to reduce the risk of several types of cancer such as breast, prostate, uterine, and ovarian (Du Toit).
- • Energy booster. Cucumbers are high in vitamin B. They work great as a “pick-me-up”(Du Toit).
- • Kills bad breath germs. If you’re concerned about bad breath, place a slice of cucumber on the roof of your mouth for 30 seconds. “The phytochemicals will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath” (Du Toit).
- • Keeps the body regular. Cucumbers are also high in fiber to aid in digestion. They can also help in weight loss.
- • Rehydration and replenishment of vitamins. Cucumbers are 95% water, which means that they help to flush out toxins and keep the body hydrated . Cucumbers contain vitamins A and C, folate, potassium and magnesium (Gardening Channel). Vitamin C is primarily found in the cucumber skin (Du Toit).
- • Cures hangovers. “Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache” (Du Toit). Eating a few slices before going to bed should help you not feel so bad the next day.
- • Treats diabetes, high cholesterol, and blood pressure. Research shows that cucumbers contain sterols that lower cholesterol levels. As it has already been stated, cucumbers contain high amounts of potassium, magnesium, and fiber. This means that they regulate blood pressure, whether it is low or high. “Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients” (Du Toit).
Now that you have more health facts about cucumbers, put some extra ones in your homemade salad. Keep them on hand for your next facial. They taste good, and they are good for you.
Du Toit, Alexandra. 10 Health Benefits of Cucumbers. www.naturalnews.com.
The Gardening Channel. The Health Benefits of Cucumbers. www.gardeningchannel.com