If you love makeup like I do, there’s a good chance that your makeup bag may be a bit cluttered. But don’t fret because this guide is for you. Follow the tips below and you will get your makeup bag cleaned in a flash…
1. Open your bag and dump out all its contents on a table. You can do this while cleaning your purse too. Never try to clean out a cluttered bay by pulling each item out one at a time. Trust me-it takes forever. Just go on ahead and dump everything out. But be careful if you have pressed powders in your bag like face powders or eye shadows. Dump those out too hard and they will shatter.
2. Turn the bag inside out and wipe it down with soapy water. Inside our makeup bags often have makeup residue stuck to it. Clean it all out. If your bag is dirty all over, you can go ahead and toss the whole thing in the washing machine.
3. Start with the powders. Toss broken powder pieces in the trash. They’ll only keep breaking and make a mess in your bag, so just toss it. Do this for all your powders including eye shadows and blushes. If you can’t bring yourself to throw away some of the powder pieces, only keep the pieces that are larger and less likely to shatter. But those that have basically already turned to dust should be thrown away. Most likely you aren’t using it anyway, so that’s more of a reason why you shouldn’t keep it.
3. Toss old makeup that has either changed its texture, scent, or color. Makeup doesn’t last forever, but sometimes we treat it as if it does. When my sister was done with college, she still had lip glosses that she had since high school! If you have ancient makeup in your bag, throw it away. It doesn’t even apply the same way it used to by now. Makeup is to make us look beautiful, and if it no longer serves that purpose, throw it away.
4. Toss loose tissues that are getting dirty and falling apart in your bag. I personally had this problem. But all you have to do is buy a travel size pack of tissues and toss that in your purse instead of dropping piece by piece in your bag. The tissues get dirty and unusable. Then when they get old, they start to cover your bag with lent. Ew…
5. Empty tubes have to go. There are some items in your purse that may have a teeny bit of product in it, and you’re keeping it because you think you might use it one day. Chances are you won’t, so throw it away. And because we often buy several versions of the same colors of makeup, most likely that little bit of lip gloss you have left in one tube is the exact same color you have in full tube.
Lastly, only carry around products that you will need at the time! Don’t just carry around your whole makeup stash. Your makeup bag will be less cluttered and less heavy.