I am pregnant with my third (and final!) baby and have recently been put on bed rest. When I was pregnant with my first baby, I was put on bed rest for hypertension. It was so easy! I honestly enjoyed being able to relax in bed watching reruns of “Friends”. But now that I have two little ones at home to take care of, resting isn’t as easy as it used to be. Here are some tips that I think make bed rest with young children possible.
- Set up one room where all of you can be together for the day. I usually choose the living room or play room. It needs to be a place where the children will have plenty of things to entertain them, but also a place where you will have an area to lie down.
- If your children still need diaper changes, bring all of the things you will need into that room with you. You will be able to change diapers without getting off the couch.
- Have lots of books available so your children can sit with you on the bed or couch and you can read to them. This will give you some snuggle time with the little one, while still allowing you to rest. Many children will like to just look through picture books quietly on their own.
- Have boxes or containers of toys set up for them to play with. Some suggestions are blocks, puzzles, magnets with a magnetic board, toy cars, stuffed animals, etc. Every few days you can swap out the containers for completely different toys so they do not get bored with the same ones day after day.
- If possible, have your partner or a friend pack meals for you and the kids. My husband will pack our meals up the night before so I don’t have to do any work. If you don’t have any help at all, just try to pack food the night before that you will need the next day so that you will not have to get up as much. Make sure that you have bottled water and sippy cups in the room with you as well.
- If all else fails, turn on the television. I like to use the tv as a last resort, but it is probably the best thing to keep my children quiet and entertained so I can get some rest.
As you can see, making bed rest work with young children is possible, but it does take a lot of prep work for the next day. If you have help to get things set up for the next day, it will make your day so much easier. I am lucky and not on strict bed rest, but I know that there are some situations where you may not be able to get out of bed at all. In those situations you would most likely need to find someone you trust to watch your kids during the day.