Anyone that has a printer will eventually come across some problems with it. With the Canon printers the major problem that stops everything is the Canon Error 5100. Now don’t throw out your printer or throw it against the wall. Those are some sentiments we all have as this is a very frustrating situation. We had our printer in cold storage for about a year before we fixed it. All it takes is a little patience and the following of 7 steps and you can get your printer good and running again.
Before doing any work on your printer make sure you unplug it, so you do not get electrocuted.
1. The first step is to scan inside of your printer for anything that is blocking the machinery from working. You might need a flashlight to do this. Take your time and take a good look at every part of your printer. I found a paperclip blocking the paper going out and I removed it.
2. Next you may change the ink absorber sponge -that catches excess ink inside your printer or you can dry it off with paper towels. If you do replace it make sure the ink absorber is the same make and model as your printer. Make sure all the printing machinery is clean, you may use a lightly damp towel to clean any surfaces with dust or ink stains. The goal is to have all surfaces clean -within the interior of your printing machinery.
3. Be sure all paper jams have been cleared. You may have to remove a part to open up the printer and take out the jammed paper.
4. Fourth, you must perform all diagnostic printing tests. So go to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, click View Devices and Printers, click on your Printer make and model, then Display Printer Properties, and finally click Maintenance. Click on all the printing tests and make sure they all turn up good before proceeding to the next step. A pass on all tests means your printer is in good working order.
5. Make sure your printer cartridges are all correctly installed. You will see all lights steady and unblinking -if they are in correctly; if they are incorrectly installed the lights will blink.
6. Now you want to reset your printer. As the instructions are a bit difficult, go to this link for video instructions.
7. Once all is good, go ahead and print one sheet. If that turns out good than your printer is fixed. You’ve saved yourself the hassle of buying a new printer or paying some repair guy one hundred dollars to fix it. With a little time and patience you can do it yourself.