Winter is almost here and now more than ever, all our imperfections are glowing on our faces as the snow makes our faces appear more brighter, whiter, and tan-less! The solution? To cake on extra makeup and hope no one really see’s that humongous bright new zit on your face. The problem being, the more makeup you cake on, the more fake it looks, and the more visible your makeup is under the bright day light. Follow this how-to guide, to have perfect skin for winter, and prevent the dry, caky, and makeup-loaded look this season!
1. You are what you eat. AND what you drink. Okay so you were partying all weekend long, and Monday morning arrives, you wake up to 7 new break outs and your skin looks like you haven’t slept for weeks! The solution? WATER, MORE WATER, AND EVEN MORE WATER. When your skin is dehydrated, even a $100.00 bottle of foundation will not look good on your skin. Instead of fusing with your skin, it will just sit on top. The reason being: your face is so dehydrated (both from inside and the outside), that it is sucking up all the hydration and oils from the makeup, and leaving that awful powdery finish on your face!
2. Leave your face wet when applying your hydrating moisturizer. Leaving your face wet after you wash it in the morning and then gently patting on your facial moisturizer, helps lock water into your face. In-turn, this leaves your face feeling less tight and more hydrated, primed and ready for your foundation routine.
3. Use a hydration mask or oil treatment at night. The trick to waking up to beautiful skin, is to prep it the night before! A hydration mask or oil treatment will help your foundation go on much smoother in the morning, whether you have dry, combination, or oily skin. Make sure to look for a gel-like hydration mask, or, if your using an oil treatment, make sure your face is wet when you are gently patting in 2-3 drops of oil onto your cleansed face. Remember: Hydrated skin= healthy even base for makeup. Tip: Try Clarins Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil for dehydrated skin (smells like a spa!).
4. Check your facial regime. I deal with clients that suffer from extreme dehydration,and the “powdery cake-face syndrome” and the number one question I first ask them is: What is your current facial regime? This includes what they use for washing their face, toning, and moisturizing day and night. Check the ingredients of your facial regime and make sure that “alcohol denat.” is not an ingredient near the top of the list (the closer to the top, the more the concentration of that ingredient). The reason being: alcohol denat. stands for denatured alcohol: which is rubbing alcohol. What does rubbing alcohol do for the skin? It dries it out! Try to find a facial moisturizer/ toner that has it lower down in the ingredient list. Clay like facial washes or washes that give you a tightness feeling after you cleanse are also a big no-no for dehydrated skin!
5. Last but not least, invest in good quality foundation! Makeup can get really expensive, but if there’s only ONE thing that you can afford to splurge on, make it your foundation! If you have extremely dry skin, you want to look for a lightweight hydrating makeup. If you have combination/ oily skin, you may want to look for a long-lasting matte finish makeup. I have gone through many different foundations through-out my years in the cosmetics industry and my all-time favourite foundations are: DIORSKIN FOREVER by Christian Dior (for combination/oily skin types), and Guerlain Parure De Lumiere (for extremely dry/ dehydrated skin). These foundations can be quite expensive, but if you think about how long they last you, you only end up spending less than a dollar a day to look and feel amazing!
There you have it! The 5 steps to amazing skin (and makeup) this season! Embrace your skin and feel beautiful knowing people see your skin and NOT your foundation! Next article: How to Tell if Your Skin is Dehydrated.