With limited ventilation and lack of outside air entering into a building, indoor air quality is a necessary, but often forgotten, aspect of facility welfare that carries serious implications for the general health of its occupants. Left unchecked, poor Indoor air quality can aggravate allergies, asthma, and other respiratory problems.
There are many ways to promote improved air quality indoors. One of the simplest ways to achieving this goal is to install floor mats, which would trap debris securely, preventing dirt and allergens from entering the building’s ventilation systems. Striving for better Indoor air quality in this manner, within a commercial establishment, will lead to less health troubles, more efficient facilities, and less maintenance of ventilation systems.
Recessed grill matting systems are made of vinyl and acrylic rails set on aluminum hinge connectors. This unique type of floor mat, which is installed flushed into a recessed part of floor so it’s flush with the walking surface, are becoming popular within commercial property developers, architectural, and engineering circles. Often installed at entryways that receive an enormous amount of traffic, recessed grill mats capture dirt and debris and let them fall through the mat instead of retaining them on the surface.
Because the debris falls into the mat, germs and allergens are easily contained. Trapping dirt at entryways with recessed grill mats minimizes the microbes that circulate the facility, protecting employees, visitors, and customers from potential health hazards. These floor mats also add polish and professionalism to any facility or storefront, while providing the added benefit of improving air quality.
By focusing on improving Indoor air quality, organizations may reap the benefits of a more efficient workplace. Containing germs before entering the air conditioning system leads to better health of employees. Employee health is vital, as health as positively correlated with satisfaction, productivity, and overall performance. Employers may even see absenteeism decrease when a healthier environment is created and nurtured. Work flow will remain at its most consistent. Staff morale will be bolstered because employers took the time to consider their general welfare.
The positive effect of recessed grill mats in Indoor air quality has been documented by Eagle Mat and Floor Products (i). The Maryland-based company conducted a study in the spring of 2011 cataloging the outcome of installing a Pedimat recessed grill mat at a Western Pennsylvania food service restaurant. The study charted the changes in interior sanitation of the facility by accounting for debris buildup, indoor air quality, and the need of additional manual cleaning.
In the study, they hypothesized that installing a Pedimat floor mat at the heavily trafficked entry way will alleviate debris accumulation within the facility, improve air quality, and lessen the need for manual cleaning.
The study was conducted in two phases, Phase 1 being the control, and Phase 2, the test for the effects of recessed grill mats. In Phase 1, the amount of debris swept up from the floors, the in the AC systems, and the manual hours worked in cleaning were all documented daily for 28 days. In Phase 2, the debris from the floors, AC systems, manual hours, and the debris gathered by the floor mat, were also tabulated daily for 28 days.
According to the data gathered from Phase 1 of the case study, 82.75% of the debris were distributed on the floor. The remaining 17.25% went into the air filters. Additionally, cleaning crews logged over 53 maintaining the floor spaces clean in accordance to company standards and Pennsylvania Health Codes.
With the installation of a recessed grill ma t at the entrance of the establishment, the amount of debris across the floor decreased by 38.70%. The distribution of debris found in the air filters dropped by 9.91%, showing a decline of 35.15% from Phase 1’s 17.25% of debris distribution found in the ventilation system. The floor mat contained 51.39% of the entire debris distribution. The hours of clean-up crew needed to sustain the facility upkeep also showed a dramatic decline (by 21%) from Phase 1.
Although follow-up studies are needed, the IAQ case study performed by Eagle Mat and Floor Products shows strong evidence that recessed grill mats effectively prevent dirt from entering a facility and soiling the floor. In addition, it stands to reason that indoor air quality improved. This deduction is supported, in part, by the finding that debris accumulation in air system filters decreased after the installation of the Pedimat system. For more information regarding this study, readers are invited to visit the link in the reference section below.
Sources for this report include:
(i) “Case Study: Improving IAQ and Facility Cleanliness.” Eagle Mat Blog. Accessed January 13th, 2013.