Imagine my surprise when I found my dog had eaten around 200 balloons. These were small balloons not the huge ones, but still it was dangerous.
Of course, the first thought that went through my head was ‘Why in the world would a dog eat balloons?‘ I still don’t know the answer to that question, but I do know you have to get them out.
Once I realized what had happened, I called a friend of mine who works at our local vet. She knew what I should do, but double checked with the doctor before giving me the okay. Here is what I found out.
How to Make a Dog Throw Up
If you find that your dog has eaten balloons or other object they shouldn’t have, it can be life threatening. First, it could lodge in the intestines and not come out. This causes the dog to become constipated. When constipation happens, your dog can’t poop. This can lead to sickness and possible death.
Don’t panic yet.
My dog is a border collie and weighs about 50 pounds. The vet said to administer 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, wait 10 minutes, then administer 3 tablespoons again. If needed, repeat this one more time waiting 10 minutes in between times and not exceeding 3 times altogether.
What Happened to Our Dog
We wasn’t sure how to get our dog to swallow the hydrogen peroxide, but we knew we had to get in down our her fast. If we waited, the balloons would have started down the digestive tract and could have caused major issues, even death.
We tried to pour the peroxide in a bowl and let her drink it – my husband’s idea. This didn’t work, of course. Then, we thought about using a metal spoon. This didn’t work either. Finally, we decided to use a small medicine cup that came with our children’s ibuprofen.
It was marked for 3 teaspoons, so we knew we had to pour 3 of them down our dog’s throat. My husband held our dog and I poured the hydrogen peroxide in.
It only took about 4 or 5 minutes for it to start working. She started gagging and vomited out about half the balloons. We waited until the 10 minutes were up and gave her the second dose of hydrogen peroxide. It worked the same as the first and she vomited up the rest of the balloons. We didn’t even need the third dose.
It was all very scary and we were so relived when it was over.
- Never give your dog anything without talking to your veterinarian.
- If your dog has swallowed something sharp, it could hurt your dog worse by vomiting.
- If your dog swallows household cleaning products, do NOT give hydrogen peroxide!
Note: This article is meant to inform others of what happened to my dog, not to treat others. Talk to your veterinarian if you feel your dog needs attention.