Arabian horses are wonderful creatures that when treated and trained right can be a joy to own or ride. Many people wish that they could ride but are fearful of horses. This is understandable. Horses are powerful animals, especially Arabians, and one bad experience can put you off riding for the rest of your life. The important thing to remember is that horses can feel when a human is afraid. Arabians especially are very smart and are good at sensing human emotions. When riding or caring for a horse you need to try and remain calm. Of course this is easier said than done. Hopefully some of these tips will help you.
- Understand that riding is a risky sport: You have to realize that no matter how well trained a horse is they do still have freewill. There is always a risk that when you ride you may fall off and get hurt. Luckily, even if you do fall off then it is very unlikely that you will badly hurt yourself.
- Have someone near who is experienced: Knowing that someone is close who knows how to handle horses can be a major comfort. Even if you aren’t riding it can make you feel better knowing that there is someone to help if you get into difficulty.
- Take things slow: The first horse you work with should be calm and well trained. You don’t want to work with a horse that is going to take advantage of you. When you first ride, don’t try to run. First just walk, then trot, and so on; making sure that you feel comfortable with each speed before you move on.
- Get to know the horse before you ride: Having a bond with a horse makes controlling much easier. The best way to create a bond is to spend time grooming and feeding the horse. After a while the horse will realize that you are good and be willing to work for you. Also when you know the horse you will feel much more comfortable on their back.
- If you fall off, try to get back on: Unless you are seriously hurt then it is important that you get back on the horse. If you don’t then you risk losing your confidence, which means that you become very fearful of riding. If you do lose your confidence then once again take things slow.
Hopefully these tips will help you to become a more confident rider. Just remember than no horse is completely safe and there is always a risk of injury.
Riding is a great way to relax and have fun, just do it safely. Always wear a helmet, even if you are just going on a short ride. Don’t take unnecessary risks. Be safe and have fun!