Pregnancy doesn’t have to be a sentence to baggy, unstylish clothes. You can still choose fashion and function during the months leading up to welcoming your precious baby.
I had a baby boy eight months ago and some days I miss being able to wear my maternity clothes. While maternity clothes go in and out of style very easily, I feel like I was able to get a great wardrobe without breaking the bank, so to speak.
The key to doing this is to get the essentials and to shop at the right places.
- Dresses – I was mainly pregnant during the warmer months, so I loved wearing cotton dresses. When I usually wear a dress (when I’m not pregnant), I wear Spanx. But you can let it all hang out when you are pregnant, which is awesome!
- Leggings – I would recommend getting a black pair and a brown pair, and maybe a gray pair. Leggings are great underneath a dress that maybe used to not be too short but is now because of your growing belly.
- Jeans – Very early on, I’m talking 12 weeks pregnant, I bought some maternity jeans. A lot of people told me it was way too early, but I didn’t care. I was uncomfortable and felt bloated in my regular jeans, so I went to a consignment store and found a pair of Gap jeans that had a demi panel that gave me room to grow. I wore them almost to the very end of my pregnancy.
- Flowy shirts – You will need 5-8 maternity shirts. You may find that you can still pull off your pre-pregnancy shirts for quite a while. I did until I got so big that I mainly wore my husband’s t-shirts and boxers. But hey, I was pregnant. Pregnant women can do anything, right?
- Tank tops – Get a black and a white maternity tank top to wear underneath things. They are longer and boxier than regular tank tops and are wonderful.
- Work pants – Before I was put on bed rest at 21 weeks, I worked full-time during my pregnancy. Buy 2-3 pairs of work pants and just rotate them. No one will notice, I promise.
- Belly band – These little things are super handy at the beginning of pregnancy. They basically allow you to wear your non-maternity pants for longer. I wouldn’t spend full price on it, though. I got one for $5 at a consignment store.
Where to Shop:
- Friend’s closets – It’s basically a social norm among women to share maternity clothes. See if your friends have any maternity clothes they are willing to part with before buying anything. I personally received a lot of clothes I swear I’d never fit into. But I sure did toward the end!
- Consignment stores – This is how I got through my pregnancy. I shopped at my local women’s consignment store and got some GREAT deals. I’m talking $5 leggings, $6 shirts, $12 jeans.
- Target – Target has a great maternity line called Liz Lange and it’s less expensive than Motherhood Maternity. You can also usually find things on clearance. Did you know that if someone buys something online and return it in a Target store they automatically have to clearance it out? That’s how you find the awesome deals!
Feel free to accent your belly. Don’t hide it because believe me; you definitely will want to hide your post-belly bulge. Embrace it while you can! You can choose both fashion and function with the correct pieces from the correct places.