For those unaware, the Avengers are a group of super heroes who come together and fight as a unified team against forces that no one hero could fight alone. If you’re a comic book fan, then you’re aware that the Avengers team members have changed many times over the years. For the purposes of this scenario, let’s assume that we have the same 6 heroes together that we recently witnessed in movie theatres around the world battling for the survival of earth: The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow and Captain America. Each of these heroes has their own diverse talents and special abilities, but if they were to battle each other until only one was left standing, who would be the winner?
In order to better understand how one of these super heroes could beat all the rest in a knock-down, drag out battle, we need to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each on a scale of 1 to 10.
- 1. Hawkeye is a master archer and can hit any target he wants from any reasonable distance and any angle, whether moving or standing still. The arrows that Hawkeye uses are equipped with any number of different types of weapons and devices. Physically, Hawkeye is in excellent shape, has acrobatic skills and knows how to fight. The downside to Hawkeye is that he has human strength and stamina. Although his arsenal of arrows may initially prove difficult to contend with, trying to put down someone like Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk or Thor would prove difficult indeed as he would eventually run out of arrows and his strength and energy would deplete quickly. Score: 6
- 2. Captain America is known for being transformed from a scrawny little guy into the perfect specimen of a human male with peak levels of strength, stamina, speed and agility. Cap’s shield is the corner-stone of his arsenal and it can be thrown with speed and accuracy to knock down or immobilize opponents while bouncing right back to his hands. With a military back-ground, Captain America can definately stand his ground in any fight. Cap’s shield would certainly provide protection from Iron Man’s laser weapons, Hawkeye’s arrows and we’ve watched it on the big screen protect him from Thor’s hammer, but it would be of little use against a really angry Hulk. Score: 7
- 3. Iron Man is ultimately a human in a suit of armor powered by an unknown, potentially limitless source of energy that Tony Stark wears embedded in his chest. The suit can fly through air, water and space. Iron Man is equipped with rockets and lasers that can be propelled from the hands and various places on the torso. The suit depends on communication and assistance from a computer called Jarvis that Tony is in constant communication with. The weapons and intelligence aspect of Iron Man combined with his mobility give him a definite advantage over the likes of Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow, but even Tony Stark would have trouble dealing with an angry Hulk or determined Thor. Score: 8
- 4. Black Widow is a master spy, martial artist and sniper. She has excellent fighting skills, perfect balance, graceful agility and her speed is second to none when dealing with another human being that doesn’t possess any type of super power. Considering Black Widow’s spy background, her strengths lie more in her ability to blend in and look normal, even weak at times if it serves her purpose to make her adversary think she is unable to defend herself. A knock-down, drag out battle that includes several super heroes with seemingly unlimited strength and power would put Black Widow out of her league. Score: 4
- 5. Every hero we’ve looked at so far is ultimately human, but the Hulk is different. Although Bruce Banner starts out as human, the gamma radiation that he absorbed truly turns him into something with nearly limitless strength and power. The Hulk can simply jump into the air and travel miles at a time. His skin absorbs the energy of bullets and deflects them and he grows larger and stronger the madder he gets. Although Hulk doesn’t fly and possesses no lasers or weapons to speak of, his incredible strength and rage would prove too great for Hawkeye, Black Widow, Captain America and ultimately Iron Man. The Hulk’s weakness lies in his decreased mental capabilities and the fact that he changes back into Bruce Banner as soon as he calms down. Score: 9
- 6. Thor is the one person out of the Avengers who is truly not human. He looks, speaks and acts human but he is from another planet altogether called Asgard. Thor is considered a god and he has a magically enchanted hammer that he uses as a formidable weapon. When Thor is separated from his hammer, he simply summons it back to his hand. Thor cannot fly but can swing his hammer fast enough to pull him through the air and his strength seems comparable to that of the Hulk. Unlike the Hulk who seems to lose his ability to think and reason, Thor retains his mental focus and intelligence while also maintaining his strength. The deciding factor that would give Thor a slight advantage over the Hulk is that he can summon lightening, wind and rain seemingly at will. The Hulk is a formidable opponent but multiple lightning strikes summoned by Thor could do some serious damage. Score: 10
The Avengers are each super heroes in their own right and any one of them could easily defeat a normal human. If all 6 of the Avengers were to fight to the last person standing, the end result would most likely leave just Thor standing all alone.