Holidays can be busy. Not everyone gets the holiday off. It was my holiday to work. The family drove up north to visit and eat the holiday meal. They said they would bring me a plate of food back. After work I went home to eat my holiday dinner. When I warmed up my plate of food I was the only one home. I was 19 or 20 years old when my holiday cooking disaster happened and I still lived at home.
What happened when you tried to cook or bake for the holidays and everything fell apart?
This is what happened. I took the plate from the refrigerator. All I had to do was put the plate in the microwave and warm it up. This should have been easy. I put the plate in the microwave and turned it on. Good thing I stayed in the kitchen. The next thing I knew the microwave was on fire. I left the aluminum foil cover on the top of the plate when I put it in the microwave. The aluminum foil kept hitting the inside of the microwave door and sparks started flying and that is when the fire started. I forgot do not use aluminum foil in the microwave.
I shut off the microwave and opened the door. I took the aluminum foil out of the microwave and put it in the sink and ran the water. I covered my plate of food with paper toweling and finished warming up my holiday dinner. When the microwave stopped I attempted to take the paper plate of food out of the microwave and it slipped out of my hands and landed upside down on the floor. The whole plate of food was lost. I did not get to eat any holiday dinner that year. I had to eat leftovers out of the refrigerator.
What did you learn from the experience?
No matter how good of cook you are you can still turn a holiday meal upside down. I learned never to use aluminum foil in the microwave again. After that experience, I was conditioned never to use aluminum foil in the microwave again. I also learned that no matter how good of a cook you are you still can make mistakes.
What advice would you pass on to others so they do not repeat your mistakes?
Do not use aluminum foil in the microwave. A fire will start. Also if someone sends you home with a plate of food transfer it to more solid plate. Cooking with a flimsy paper plate is not a wise idea.
The microwave door had burn marks on it and we had to look at it for many years until my mother sold her house and got rid of the microwave. I did not get yelled at for this. I have never spoken of this situation since it happened. I forgot all about it until I wrote this article.