Movies like “National Lampoon Vacation” are always blockbusters. Why? They highlight the pitfalls of family vacations, situations common to the average Joe. Mom, since you normally are at the helm of any trip, break tradition this year by approaching your outing in a different manner. Change fate: improve the level of r&r you have away from home with household members.
Mom, five ways to enhance your family vacation:
- Throw a bon voyage party. Allow your children to invite friends over to kick off their departure. The theme should be based on the destination in order to drum up conversation about this subject. The result: party attendees help you and your clan get excited about leaving town.
- Take photos along the way. Don’t wait until you reach your destination. Snap shots of the exit from the driveway, stop at that ‘back-woods’ gas station, and flat tire. These seemingly unimportant incidents are memorable too; they are pieces to a puzzle that no one should forget.
- Schedule a ‘not-like-us’ day. For twenty-four hours, get your family out of their comfort zone. If you are a group of couch potatoes, visit a rock climbing center. If you’re a high-tech unit, toss all the gadgets aside for walk through a museum. In other words, do something that makes everyone take a risk and find something new to love.
- Make your own reality TV. Do a video-log of your vacation with intermittent commentaries from each family member. Turn the footage into a reality TV show according to a particular occurrence. For instance, your video-log could be called “The Real House Members of Coney Beach” Or “Survivor Island Hawaii”. Whatever your choice, make it silly and a joint effort from the entire family.
- Plan a no-fail activity. It should be something your entire family loves and can be done almost anywhere at anytime. Example: a McDonald’s pig out – a nature or urban walk – a movie marathon – these activities don’t require a lot of effort or thought. Plus, they can fill-in for a closed park due to inclement weather.
In conclusion, mom, enhance your next family vacation with the above tips. They can turn the usual ho-hum outing into something a little more interesting for all of your household members.
Beat Jet Lag
Beat Heat Exhaustion
Reduce Germs at Your Home