Small innocent accidents happen all the time in my house. My daughter often forgets to look where she’s going while she is waking and she ends up walking into a wall. My husband trips over toys on the living room floor. I stubbed my little toe so badly on my ottoman that I fractured a bone. Accidents happen, and we all get bruised and banged up. All of our wounds eventually heal, and we learn our lesson to watch where we are walking.
There are accidents that happen that destroy things in my house, too. Sometimes, a dish falls on the tiled floor and breaks or a closet door comes off it’s rail. Those things are easy to replace or to repair. It takes little or no money at all to fix. It’s the bigger, more expensive items that concern my husband and I when it comes to protecting them from everyday life. My husband insists on having a surge protector plugged in behind every TV in our house, regardless of it’s size. We live in Florida, and lighting storms are frequent during the summer months so having a surge protector is essential.
One night, my husband and I found out there is another reason to use a surge protector that we hadn’t thought of before. My two-year-old son was playing with two half-full water bottles that had their caps on. He was playing with them in the living room where my husband and I were watching TV. It was nighttime, we were in our pajamas and we thought we were done running around for the day. All of a sudden, water burst from a water bottle causing its contents to be spewed all over our wall and entertainment table where our TV, cable box and other components are located. The TV shut off as did the cable box we were watching. My son had stomped on one of half full water bottles and the pressure caused the top to pop off. Needless to say, the surge protector did its job and saved our TV and other components from being destroyed. We dried the water with towels and waited a few minutes before we turned the electrical components back on. When my husband pressed power on the remote, I held my breath. I wasn’t sure if the TV would turn back on but thankfully, it did.
Using a surge protector saved the electrical items we have in our living room from our son behaving like the two-year-old he is. In our house, we try our best to safely arrange and organize our belongings in such a way to protect our children. Surge protectors are good to have installed on all types electrical components not just for bad weather but for indoor accidents as well. They are inexpensive considering the alternative.