The NBA’s newest potential stars on show this summer in the summer league and some are really showing there potential as some of the bigger names are making some people worry. Here are my top 5 rookies in the summer league so far.
5. Reggie Bullock, Los Angeles Clippers – Bullock has averaged 18 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists so far and is showing some promise after 5 games in the Las Vegas summer league. The 6’7 200 pounder has been able to take advantage of that size by racking in over 18 points in 4 out 5 games with a high of 22. Bullock looks like he will find his way into that Clippers rotation come regular season.
4. Cody Zeller, Charlotte Bobcats – Zeller is averaging 16.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 1.5 assist so far this summer. Zeller has shown so far that he can score with his back to the basket or step out and knock the shot down which will make him hard to guard in the NBA. He has also shown he can rebound well also has he is averaging 9.3 rebounds a game. With the Bobcats bringing in Al Jefferson the Bobcats could possibly have one of the more underrated front courts in the NBA next year.
3. Victor Oladipo, Orlando Magic – Oladipo has average 19 points, 5 assists, and 4.3 rebounds a game and is showing he can shoot the rock as he was the 2nd leading scorer in the Orlando summer league. He is in the process of switching to PG and will need to improve on turnovers. But for right now he looks like the transition won’t be to hard and he will be a household name before you know it.
2. C.J McCollum, Portland Trail Blazers – C.J has averaged 21 points, 4 rebounds, and 3.4 assists this summer league in Las Vegas. He led all players in scoring at the Las Vegas summer league and is showing a bright future. McCollum will be a great back up to Damian Lillard who will be able to provide bench scoring.
1. Kelly Olynyk, Boston Celtics – Olynyk averaged 18 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 2.4 assists in the Orlando Summer League. Olynyk was the 4th leading scorer in the Orlando summer league as he showed off some great offensive skills that the Celtics are hoping to see in the regular season. The Celtics are in a bit of a rebuilding stage and just hired head coach Brad Stevens and it looks like there will be plenty of minutes for Olynyk this season.
That is the end of my top rookies for the summer league. There were plenty others that are doing good things such as Ben McLemore, Jack Cooley, and Dennis Schroeder but the five on my list are who I thought were the best 5 performers through the summer league action.