Jund Midrange is one of the most dominant combinations to play in the current standard format. In addition to being a powerful build, Jund Midrange can also be incredibly fun. Jund currently focuses on card advantage, big creatures, and optimal control. If you’re looking for a deck that can stand up against any other build in the current format, look no further.
- Huntmaster of the Fells – this card can provide players with a lot of options, including tokens, healing, creature removal, early trample damage to opponents, as well as direct player damage.
- Olivia Voldaren – this card is excellent for removing small creatures owned by your opponents, as well as stealing their bigger creatures.
- Liliana of the Veil – this is possibly the most powerful Planeswalker in Magic: the Gathering. Liliana strikes fear into the hearts of your opponent and gives you excellent card advantage.
- Garruk, Primal Hunter – Garruk acts as a constant creature generator, throwing out 3/3 tokens every single round, that is, until you choose to have him put out 6/6 tokens with trample.
Although Huntmaster of the Fells, Olivia Voldaren, Liliana of the Veil, and Garruk, Primal Hunter can easily win you a match, other creatures in this deck provide you with the necessary components to get these cards out, stay alive, and ultimately, finish off any opponent.
- Arbor Elf – although a menial card, this “mana dork” allows you to get out all of your important creatures, as well as providing buffs to other cards later in the game.
- Thragtusk – since you aren’t likely to have any blocks out prior to turn two or three, Thragtusk will come into play and provide you with some protection and healing.
- Craterhoof Behemoth – this is your win card, when Craterhoof Behemoth comes in, he’s going to smash nearly any opponent, he also provides a major buff to all other creatures you have on the field.
Once you get your deck rolling (usually around turn 3 or so), then you shouldn’t have any problems dealing with opponents. Prior to your key turn, however, there’s a good chance you’ll need to remove some of your opponents’ creatures in order to live long enough to play your good cards. Here’s a list of spells that can prolong your early life.
Instants, Sorceries, and Enchantments
- Abrupt Decay – two mana, destroys anything early. Abrupt Decay is an extremely popular card in any format, invest in a play set of these.
- Dreadbore – it kills anything, and it only costs two mana. Dreadbore takes care of the biggest of creatures, the peskiest of Planeswalkers, and it doesn’t tap much mana. You want this card.
- Farseek – those two Arbor Elves aren’t going to provide you with all the mana you need, these Farseek will help you get a jump on your opponents.
- Mizzium Mortars – removes a dangerous single creature early in the game, can provide an entire board-wipe to your opponents’ creatures later in the game.
- Rakdos’s Return – does damage to your opponent, makes them discard most if not all of their cards, this card is a dual threat.
- Ground Seal – gives you a free card when you play it and completely kills reanimation decks.
Jund is just about the only style of play in the current standard format that can deal with practically any threat. Jund is very hard to deal with, and it seems to win more often than not. I hope you have fun and put this information to good use, I’ll see you at Friday Night Magic!
Example Deck Build