When I switched computers, I didn’t have access to the fancy programs I was accustomed to. So I had to start looking for free programs that I could use to replace them. One program, Google Docs, allowed me to replace my old Word program. I’ve found that this program is an all around great alternative to the common Word programs out there.
1. Easy and simple to use. Sometimes, with the new Word programs out there, I can get so confused by where everything is. Many times, they feature tools that I don’t even use. Google Docs operates in a very simple format and with many of the essentials and some added tools but not too many fancy features that can cause it to be difficult to use.
2. Easy access. The one feature that I absolutely love about Google Docs is the ability to use it on any computer. Rather than save your documents on your computer, Google Docs saves your work in your Google or Gmail account. So if you have access to the Internet, that’s all you need to access your work. Gone are the days of USB devices and emailing your work.
3. It automatically saves. I do a lot of writing and occasionally my toddler will come and press the “off” button on my computer. So, I end up losing my work simply because I didn’t click the Save button that minute. When you write or create documents in Google Docs, it saves it as you go. You don’t have to keep clicking save. Even if you’re in the middle of a sentence just as your computer shuts off. You can turn it back on, access it online and start back right where you left off.
4. Many formats. Some Word programs, don’t allow you to save in any thing but rtf, txt, or other of their chosen formats. With my old program, I had to download a PDF creator program and print to it just to convert my document into PDF. Google Docs allows you to easily convert your document into various formats.
5. Document sharing. Another great feature is that you can share your documents easily between Google accounts. If someone has a Google account, rather than email the document, you can simply share through Google Docs. This works great if you’re working on a group assignment and you need someone to write or make changes to your document. It’s also easier than email because much email can get delayed, piled in with junk or have file size restrictions.
1. Not all capabilities available. For the Presentation feature, I found it was very limited in the amount of themes you could create for the slides. You may not also be able to create as many transitions and effects as other programs. While I enjoyed the simplicity of their document formats, it may not be suited for someone who uses these programs for more complex work.
2. Relies on internet access. The ability to simply access your work wherever a computer is available, is great. It also means that if you can not access the Internet, you can not access your files. Sometimes, you may want to work on your project using a computer that does not have internet. This creates a problem when your work is stuck online.