Hold on to your hats folks. This article is painful to read but is as true as the sun comes up every morning.
I’ve been reading the many articles related to the DSM 5. I have worked in both education and drug rehab for many years. I don’t know how many people have found it strange that so many kids today are being diagnosed with mental disorders and then prescribed drugs of which they get addicted to – all in the name of “mental health.” Addiction treatment has gradually moved over into the field of mental health, as has the field of education and thus I would say I am now working in the mental health field, although definitely not enjoying its beliefs.
I have observed our US and Canada Health Departments and Medical Ethics Enforcement arms directly attack well-intentioned doctors for practicing holistic and natural healing methods. I have so often learned of safe and effective treatments that are outlawed in USA and Canada.
I witnessed first-hand a Quebec Drug rehab center be closed down by the Quebec Health Ministry because it refused to believe in treating addictions with medical drugs. It was offered the alternative of changing its policy but refused to do so because it would have meant agreeing to continue to keep so many people addicted, rather than do all possible to lead them to drug free lives.
Here are some basic truths about the subject of Psychiatry that so many of us had already known; some of us for 30 years and more.
1. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (The DSM), whether DSM 5, DSM IV, DSM III, etc is not a Medical Text. It looks like one. It follows the same pattern as one I.E categories of sicknesses, diseases, etc. But it is a system of beliefs and opinions. There are no medical tests to support these beliefs. There is no evidence based yardstick to determine if a 6 month old child, nor a teenager, nor a fully mature adult has something called Bipolar Disorder, nor Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), nor of most anything listed in the DSM.
2. Psychiatrists are given the right to prescribe drugs based on this system of beliefs — drugs of which several brand names have now cost pharmaceutical companies hundreds of millions in lawsuits due to their damaging effects and their non-scientific research papers justifying their use.
3. Ritalin and Prozac are two of the many drugs prescribed based on this system of beliefs. Reactions to the drugs vary from one person to the next. Addictions occur too.
4. Little toddlers and babies and pregnant women are diagnosed and prescribed drugs based on this system of beliefs.
5. The US Food and Drug Administration (the FDA) and most US State Health officials approve of this Psychiatric DSM and approve of the prescription of drugs based on this system of beliefs. Electroshock Therapy and Psychosurgery (such as prefrontal lobotomy) are also based on non-evidence based mental illnesses and although they knowingly cause permanent physical brain damage to people, are not outlawed.
6. Health Canada and each provincial Health Department in Canada approves of this same psychiatric bible and approves of prescription of drugs based on it. Health Canada and each Canadian province also approves of Electroshock Therapy and Psychosurgeries, despite their permanently damaging effects. Provincial Colleges of Physicians (the ethics enforcement arm towards doctors in provinces of Canada including Quebec) allow all of this yet over-regulate and penalize holistic and natural health practitioners for practicing natural remedies and medicines. These practitioners literally have to continue to fight to hold their ground on what they have found will save lives.
7. The USA Food and Drug Administration and Health Canada work hard to outlaw a multitude of harmless and in fact helpful holistic and natural remedies and cures. Yet do not take a stance against Psychiatry and its DSM. Go figure that one out.
8. The field of Drug Rehabilitation has been collapsed with the industry of psychiatry in recent years and now there is even another very official non-evidence based “disease” called “addiction” for which one will receive a prescribed drug to treat it.
9. All that I said above is common knowledge that can be discovered by any one of us who are willing to look and to question it. One does not need a degree to study this and apply common sense of research. I can freely write about it without any fear of defamation suits. Yet for some reason no one of authority actually puts any control on it. Fortunately at least the media has caught on to some of it with the release of the DSM-5.
Fortunately for all, many psychiatrists, medical doctors and counselors have come forward and spoken loudly about this, even published books with clear cut evidence of the above.
Sorry if this seems harsh to take. Sorry if you work in this field. But if you do, you chose it, I didn’t.
However I do thank those psychiatrists and medical doctors who are working to expose this and make a change in their field. You have quite a battle. But I think you will win. Let’s get more people aware of this and as a large group, put some real ethics in to it.