Professionals in the IT industry still gravitate to these computers to perform various duties that require streamlined reliability. These can range from multimedia functions, servers and military/government applications. Different models of rackmount computers exist and are available with a variety of form factors, from 1U height, to 8U height, these rackmount computers can be personalized to cater specifically to any company’s needs.
Rackmount servers, as they sometimes are called, share almost the same exterior features
across the board. At times they tend to be almost generic. The separation factor lies beneath the exterior. Internally, they posses strong processing power, expandable memory and expandable storage capacity. These facets of the rackmount computer can be optimized to suit any particular need.
Rackmount computers have become desirable for a lot of reasons. Besides the computing power that it can hold within, it also possesses some remarkable exterior attributes. These computers are stackable, making it easy to expand and add more servers when the need arises. It was also originally created to be used in military applications, therefore, making it resilient to tough conditions that expose it to dirt, water, oil, and grease. Regular desktop towers do not possess these capabilities.
Rackmount servers present filtered ventilation fans that inhibit airborne dust particles from being brought into the chassis. These fans draw cooler air into the case from the outside to drive out all of the warm air from inside which keeps the unit within a specified temperature range to preclude overheating, instability, malfunction and damage.
Individuals and corporations can benefit from using rackmount computers because of its affordababilty and its expandabilty. In choosing the right rackmount computer, here are some pointers in acquiring the one that is right for your company:
• Size – this is a key point in choosing your rackmount. Smaller servers fit much easier into more portable racks, while others would have difficulty doing so. For military use, short depth rackmounts (14″-17″ deep) are the ideal choice,
• Everyday business operations that do not require much computing power can strongly rely on the 1U, which is the smallest of all these rackmounts. It is powerful and versatile enough to cater to the basic data center. The 1U is a good platform to stand on for basic server necessities. Now, if what you require is a stronger and more powerful server, you can then turn to the 2U, 3U, and 4U servers. These have increased memory support and greater expansion capabilities.
• Next, you need to factor in the processing power that is essential for your unit. Alongside this, you will also need to figure out how much memory is needed to support your company’s needs.
• Most units can be customized to come with a 14-slot backplane, which would give you an assortment of slots to choose from. These include ISA, PCI express, PCI and any other expansion slot you may think of. With this much variety, your rackmount computer can easily be customized to meet your specific requirements.
• If accessibility is what you seek, then the front accessible units will be a better fit for you. It places vital functions, such as I/O features, expansion cards, power switches, and even interfaces on the motherboard at the front of the unit, rather than the rear to provide easier access.
• Determining the correct wattage for your power supply is another integral part in choosing your rackmount server. The number of expansion cards that you will be installing in your rackmount will actually determine the wattage on your power supply. Naturally, the more work that the expansion cards will be doing, the more wattage your server will require. So, determining your primary needs will be the principal basis for choosing what’s necessary for your computer.
Primarily, these rackmount computers were made for industrial applications, but more and more, it is being used for commercial applications because of its adaptability, durability, and its innate ability to work efficiently.