We have grown-up in a society that uses and tosses everything away, which can create something else, or used for another purpose. I would like to share with you some items that I have found that can have other uses.
- 1. Coffee Filters-place into the bottom of flowerpots for drainage and over time will create mulch. Put into your mulch pile as well.
- 2. Plastic Margarine Tubs:
- a. Animal Food scoops.
- b. For sharing leftovers.
- c. Use as a mixing bowl for small amounts of concrete, and other things.
- d. Decorate the outside & put holes in bottom to make plant pots.
- 3. Plastic Bottles:
- a. Freeze them to put into an ice chest to avoid water getting into food.
- b. Freeze the small soda bottles so you can place them in a cage for rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and other caged animals to keep them cool during the hot summer months.
- c. Freeze them and place into the water binds of large animals such as horses, dogs so that they have cool water to drink during the heat.
- 4. Toilet Paper Rolls & Paper Towel Rolls:
- a. Place small gifts inside and wrap with wrapping paper. Use as place settings.
- b. Place candy inside and wrap with wrapping paper for candy bags.
- c. Put a bell and catnip inside and wrap it up for a cat toy.
- d. Use as fire kindling.
- 5. Dryer Lint-is a great fire starter.
- 6. Any and all Paper-shred it and use for packing for mailing items, all shredding will make good kindling.
- 7. Magazines, Old Calendars, Holiday Cards:
- a. Pictures and the articles the kids’ can use for their school projects or artwork.
- b. Shredded them and use for packaging and kindling.
- 8. Blankets and Pillow Cases – cut and sewn to make into throw pillows.
- 9. Scraps of left over or used material-are cut-up into strips to make “rag rope rugs”.
Gardening Items to Reuse
- 1. Coffee grounds-are great to help put nutrients into the ground and on flowers that love a little acid soil.
- 2. Fireplace soot-is also great to put around trees or into the soil.
- 3. Grass cuttings-placed around outside of plants and trees will help keep the soil damp.
- 4. Take used or old hay & straw-spread it around your plants & trees, or mix it into the soil for mulch.
- 5. Flower, shrubs, rosebushes and or other plants-take the plant trimmings and plant them two joints in the dirt and one joint above the dirt to grow new plants. Then use these plants to give as gifts. They will make a great gift for new homeowners.
- 6. Tree trimmings-cut up the larger branches to dry for firewood for your or a friend’s fireplace or for camping. The smaller branches use them for kindling.
- 7. Clay Pots-if a pot becomes cracked or broken use the pieces to place into the bottom of other pots for drainage by breaking it up into small pieces.
Construction or Building Items to Reuse
- 1. Wood-left over wood you can use as firewood, to make bird feeders, birdhouses, or a wooden swing for kids. Just to name a few ideas.
- 2. PVC Pipe:
- a. Decorated or painted and cut up in different lengths work great in the making of wind chimes.
- b. Can also be hammered into the ground next to a tree or large bush so that when you are watering or it is raining the water will go through the pipe and deeper into the ground for deeper watering of the roots.
Kids, Animals & More
- 1. Horseshoes:
- a. Welded together to make tables.
- b. Cooling racks for hot cooking pots.
- c. Wind chimes
- d. Art
- 2. Plastic Cat Litter Containers:
- a. Ones with handles make small trashcans for gardening.
- b. A trash can for picking up dog droppings.
- c. Cleaned out & decorated can be used for large flowerpots.
- d. A washed container you can use to put fish in when fishing.
- 3. Old Blankets-are great for pet beds in the winter months for extra warmth.
- 4. Old shoes’-use for kids to play dress-up with.
- 5. Old clothes’-use for kids to play dress-up with.
- 6. Old large T-shirts-are used to cover kid’s clothes to keep from getting paint stains when doing artwork.
- 7. Any type or size of container– that you might need to decorate or paint will make some unique flowerpots. Some containers may not even need decorated such as old wheel barrels that have rusted holes, wicker baskets just to name a couple.
There is no limit as what you can do with old or used things just use your imagination and become creative. As always, recycle everything you can if you cannot reuse it as something else. There is more to recycling than cans, bottles and glass! If you cannot reuse or reinvent it recycle it!
Rug Maker’s Homestead: http://www.sandpoint.net/rafter4/flatwrap.htm
How To Make Plants From Cuttings: http://www.ehow.com/how_8368386_make-plants-cuttings.html