The world of internet technology has come of age; smart phones and a slew of other compact handheld devices have evolved into household names. An average internet user has taken to accessing the internet on the move, and hence there rises an inherent demand for websites to provide just the same user experience as it would when accessed from a desktop/laptop. With a rise in businesses shifting to digital promotion of products/services, there arises a need to build sites that work uniformly across mobiles as well the regular desk/laptops. Undeniably, changes in internet technology have triggered progress in the minds of users. As a consequence, there is a paradigm shift of focus onto enhanced user experience on a given website.
What you need to know about responsive web design
For obvious reasons, a website will appear as well as function differently on say a 27-inch desktop monitor than on a 7 or a 9-inch tablet PC or even a smart phone. The concept of Responsive Web design cuts across these disparities and works on an approach that suggests that design and development will necessarily need to respond to a given user’s behavior and environment. Now this will be based on screen size, the operating system or platform used and orientation attributes of the device. The method is based on the right mix of flexible grids and layouts, images and active deployment of CSS media queries which brings about this change.
Now media queries are a component of CSS3 (Cascading style sheets) which work on the adaptability of content to mobile/hand held devices. So ideally when the user switches from his desk/laptop to a hand held device such as a smart phone or a tablet, the website would automatically accommodate resolution changes, image size etc. Mobile responsive design is a path-breaking development in website designing that aims at providing a uniform user experience of accessing a website irrespective of the screen size. The “responsive edge” to your website is your first step in enhancing your foothold in digital business. Dare to disagree?
To re iterate and sum up consider the following key advantages a responsive website offers to your business;
- You will just need to work on a single unique piece of content that can uniformly be delivered to multiple devices.
- There is no compromise on user experience whatsoever; the user is free to access the website from a device of his choice.
- Greater reach in terms of target audience – A responsive website gives the flexibility to the user to access websites from mobile/handheld devices, so there is a high probability of newer users reaching out to your website.
- You save a lot of costs for your business by presenting a uniform business website across all users. You just have to design/develop one single responsive website for your business.
- A responsive website automatically attracts the attention of search engines thereby providing a higher page rank to your website. This in turn positively affects traffic to your website.
- A single responsive website helps you consolidate all activities on your website by carrying out an active and uniform analytics/reporting structure on your website.
A responsive website keeps you ahead of the competition and in line with trends in technology; do bear in mind the fact that there is an ever increasing potential of an online target audience. Decide to implement a responsive design and watch your website soar into newer horizons.