You can get a sore throat from irritants, allergies or bacteria. A natural inclination is to suck on a lozenge and soothe the resulting itching and scratching in your sore throat, but what if you don’t have one? In this case, use one of the following remedies. They are other alternatives to a lozenge.
- Eat raw honey. Raw honey has anti-bacterial properties which have been used to heal wounds. Mix a spoonful into a warm glass of tea or with lemon juice and drink. (Warning: Don’t give to children 1 years old or younger.)
- Sip on spicy water. Mix lemon and a dash of cayenne (1/8 tsp) into a glass of water. Pepper eases pain and lemon fights germs. Sip this mixture until the glass is empty.
- Eat a marshmallow. For years, sap from marshmallow trees have been used to soothe sore throats. The gelatin coating on the ones you purchase at the store have the same effect. The feel of a slippery, sweet treat provides relief.
- Apply a warm compress. Swollen glands (inflammation) are the cause of pain for a sore throat. Temper them by applying a warm compress. Moisten a bundle of towels ore washcloth, apply them to the affected area for comfort.
- Breathe differently. Breathing through your mouth only worsens the scratchy feeling of a sore throat. So use an alternate route; breathe through your nose.
- Eat chicken soup. Your mother was right. Chicken soup does make you feel better after a cold. The salt in this dish has anti-inflammatory properties, which reduce swollen glands.
- Take Advil. Advil (and Aleve) is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory. As a result, this pill reduces swelling in tissue. Take the recommended dosage for the best results.
- Rest. Allow your body to heal itself. Sleep restores human cells and fends off disease. As soon as your throat starts to hurt, catch a few zzz’s.
In conclusion, the above are ways you can soothe a sore throat without a lozenge. Use them and attack the symptoms that accompany the common cold or any other condition that affects your throat in a negative way.
* * *
Did you know? Adults can have their tonsils removed too. They have this happen to reduce bouts of sore throats.