My husband introduced me to Pittsburgh Steelers football when we started dating 13 years ago. His parents grew up in the Brookline area of Pittsburgh, and the black and gold meant serious stuff in their household. I didn’t officially win family approval until listening to the priest bless the Steelers at Sunday mass with Aunt Dean, the matriarch, before a home game.
While my football loyalties remain in Washington, marrying into a Steel City family has given me considerable experience in shopping for Steelers fans. When a jersey or terrible towel is too cliché, check out one of these 10 best Pittsburgh Steelers gifts I’ve discovered over the years.
1. Mansie – Adult fans will wear anything to support the Steelers – including footie pajamas. Move over Snuggie; the mansie protects your feet, fits snugly under winter pants and coats, and provides a better defense to the Pittsburgh cold.
2. Jimmy Pol’s Polka -Wiz Khalifa’s “Black and Yellow” works, but Jimmy Pol’s Polka Fight Songs (available here) are a family-friendly alternative for those seeking more traditional Steelers tunes.
3. Cornhole – Whether you buy or build your own, black and gold cornhole boards will put a smile on your fan’s face and provide hours of pre-game entertainment.
4. Tailgate Tools -Help your fan fire up the grill in Steelers style with a new BBQ Set. Don’t forget to pick up koozies for your Iron City beer!
5. Branders – Brand the Steelers logo on just about any food – including hot dogs, waffles, and toast – and ensure that your tailgate or Super Bowl party is a success.
6. Desk Calendar – My husband’s favorite annual gift allows your fan to display their Pittsburgh pride, brush up on trivia, and count down to game day in one fell swoop.
7. Cowbell -A black and gold cowbell keeps the spirit up between “Here we go” chants. Christopher Walken must have been a Steelers fan.
8. Duck Tape – Everyone needs it, and it has infinite uses. Steelers Duck Tape inexpensively repairs everything from Heath Miller’s knee to any lingering memories of the team’s 0-4 start.
9. Steelers Monopoly – Buy and sell legends like Terry Bradshaw and Franco Harris while teaching young Pittsburghers how to become the next Art Rooney.
10. Tickets – There is no better gift than a game day experience. Buy a pair on Stubhub or eBay, and head on down to Heinz Field!